How Bodged is My Kitchen Extract

Sponsored Links

1. Heat​

Despite its name, regular off-the-shelf duct tape is not a good choice for sealing or repairing heating and ventilation ducts. The heat softens the adhesive, causes it to lose its strength and slip from the attachment. It also carries no safety certification, which means it may burn and produce toxic smoke. (For that reason duct tape is not allowed at all on ducts in states such as California.)

As an alternative, consider All Purpose Aluminum Foil Tape, which works up to 248° F and is flame-retardant

2. Water​

Duct tape is water resistant, not waterproof. It will work in a pinch until a more permanent solution can be applied, but over time the adhesion will peel away when completely submerged in water.

Consider All Leak Repair Tape instead; a permanent adhesive that forms a watertight seal and works in both extreme heat and cold.

3. Temporary Repairs​

Think twice about using duct tape for temporary uses such as sealing a windowpane or hanging plastic sheeting. In certain situations, it makes an excellent stopgap until a more permanent solution can be applied. But this type of adhesive will leave behind a sticky residue when removed.

A better option would be All Purpose Repair Tape, which maintains a strong grip while removing cleanly from any surface

4. Uneven Surfaces​

Standard duct tape has a thin layer of adhesive so it adheres best to smooth, even surfaces. Applying it to rough or irregular surfaces means the tape will only make contact with the high points thereby lessening the strength of its bond.

Consider Outdoor Stucco Duct Tape; a thicker layer of adhesive means it’s able to connect with more surface area and maintain a stronger hold.

5. Cold​

If you’re working in cold conditions, repairing vinyl siding or refrigeration hoses, duct tape is not the answer. Extreme cold hardens the adhesive and diminishes sticking power of existing duct tape. And if you are applying the tape under cold conditions, it may not stick at all.

We have a number of cold-weather solutions, but All Weather Repair Tape lasts in temperatures as low as -30°F!

6. UV Light​

Over time exposure to sunlight will cause duct tape’s adhesive to dry out and become brittle or delaminate. For outdoor projects that require tape, it’s best to choose one that’s been treated to resist the effects of ultraviolet light, like Premium Grade Stucco Duct Tape.

Sponsored Links
Hey AkiraDIY did you not know that you can post your images direct into the forum?
That way they will be available to all viewing here.

Proper 'insulation tape' will last years and years. Its designed to.

Because of the length of time I have been in business. A majority of my work is contained in a 30 mile radius
Two things spring to mind there

1) would the average client even know that their duct tape had delaminated when it's inside a wall, and call you back to rip the wall apart to discover thus and make good?
2) would an above-average client call the same tradesman back to fix a problem they caused, or do they get someone else in?

I mean, of course if you're called out to do work and then 30 years later called back to rip out and do differently, and happen to discover it still stuck then great..

Incidentally, there are tapes (such as pro clima's range) that are rated to last for many years (life), but I don't recall seeing the same claims made of even high end duct tape

Last edited:
The story I've heard is that Duck Tape was the original. When other companies wanted to make their own copy that sounded very similar but didn't infringe the trademark, they called it Duct Tape. It's never been for use on ducts, just as the original was not for use on ducks.

Just one of those confusing things. It's very strong and sticky but doesn't have a long life. I've used it for securing insulation into a ceiling until the plasterboard was screwed over it. I needed something strong, and it only needed to last a couple of weeks, perfect for the job.

The story I heard was that rival tape manufacturers will convince anyone that theirs is best and the gullible will always fall for it.

Two things spring to mind there

1) would the average client even know that their duct tape had delaminated when it's inside a wall, and call you back to rip the wall apart to discover thus and make good?
2) would an above-average client call the same tradesman back to fix a problem they caused, or do they get someone else in?

I mean, of course if you're called out to do work and then 30 years later called back to rip out and do differently, and happen to discover it still stuck then great..

Incidentally, there are tapes (such as pro clima's range) that are rated to last for many years (life), but I don't recall seeing the same claims made of even high end duct tape
The average noseall client only need pop into their loft, ten/twenty years down the line and try and pull their ducting apart. Trust me, it sticks to plastic vent ducting, like shoite to a blanket and lasts as long as it needs to. It was made for it, despite what rival manu's put out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back