How can I become a Plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to go about becoming a plumber?
I would prefer to hold down my day job concurrently while training.

It goes without saying, any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, this is the wrong forum for this type of question. Try www.plumbingpages.com
which is a professional rather than DIY forum, and they have lots of posts on this subject.

Best of luck.

I looked into re-training in the building trades a year ago whilst facing redundancy. If you are over 25 and under 55 forget about getting an apprenticeship, unless its a private one.

I believe you can do an NVQ as an introduction, can't remember if its a year or two part time. All other levels require assessment of your work, which you can't do unless you have a job in the trade, which is unlikely unless it's an apprenticeship.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies

sounds like it might not be that easy. i am 35.

i did hear that NVQ means Not Very Qualified....

ice cold rad man said:
sounds like it might not be that easy. i am 35.
Don't give up yet ! We have the biggest shortage of plumber's in this country.So I wouldn't have thought it should be a problem but might have to be patient though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back