corgi gas course

cjb1971 said:
Softus said:
lcgs said:
Some of the questions are yes/no, quick tip answer YES to them all, with no exceptions.As you get a second go, if any come back wrong then they must be NO. :LOL:
Are you actually encouraging people to cheat?

Are you the pratt that this makes you appear to be?
Took my acs exams 2 weeks ago-the assessors gave us exactly the same advice!

It would appear i'm not the only pratt. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
lcgs said:
Its not cheating it called using your brain surely something that simple should register with anyone with an ounce of sense.Yes/No are 50/50, you get 2 go's do the maths.
So, you're saying that this particular paper is a test of common sense and basic brain use? Or are you in fact failing to answer the questions in the spirit of the paper, i.e. cheating?

Just because the cheat is easy doesn't make it right, and if you haven't demonstrated the knowledge that you're supposed to have learned then you're only an untrustworthy cheat but a dangerous untrustworthy cheat.

the exams are open book next you'll accuse CITB of cheating by giving you the answers and then giving you an index and contents list to aid you.
Don't be a pratt. Or is it now just a habit with you?

Even worse would be that the questions would follow the same chapters as the book.
I take it that you concede that cheating is bad thing then.

It would appear i'm not the only pratt.
Quite so, but you're the only pratt who's arguing that being one of many cheats makes it all ok.

You win, cheating is bad. Cheats dont prosper. All i was doing is giving advice that is freely given by the ACS teaching staff as stated by a recent candidate.(cjb1971).

The 'yes' to everything cheat is always going to be used, its not a consciencous issue not to do it, its a fundamental flaw within the examination process. If the examination board got abit more savvy with the examination process then people who pass on the 'yes to everything' method ...wouldnt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lgcs - I respect you for conceding that.

Make no mistake, I'm going to be finding out more about the Assessor's advice - I think it's despicable.

cjb1971 - where did you take your ACS assessment?

Sofus, i presume from other posters that you are not an RGI but i think you've probably sat or seen various acs papers. As BSTER wrote it is the exam bodies fault for putting such rubbish ways of asking questions in their exam.
However the papers have only small numbers of these questions, with the rest being true multipule guess style. In order to get your second chance i think 70% has to be achieved on your first attempt.
The yes/no's from memory are quite simple for RGI's and arent to be fair that taxing.

lcgs said:
Sofus, i presume from other posters that you are not an RGI
You don't need to presume - I've lost count of the number of times I've posted the fact that I'm not an RGI.

but i think you've probably sat or seen various acs papers.
Nope - never.

As BSTER wrote it is the exam bodies fault for putting such rubbish ways of asking questions in their exam.
They have certainly contributed by putting temptation in the path of cheats, but they are not the dangerous cheats in this scenario.

However the papers have only small numbers of these questions, with the rest being true multipule guess style. In order to get your second chance i think 70% has to be achieved on your first attempt.
I'm not clear what you're saying - are you now claiming that the cheat works only if at least 70% of the answers are "Yes"?

The yes/no's from memory are quite simple for RGI's and arent to be fair that taxing.
This implies that the cheats are not only dangerous untrustworthy cheats, but lazy dangerous untrustworthy cheats. Not very good candidates for becoming RGIs, and it makes me relieved that I can't be suspected of being such a low life.

No wonder there are still so many gas-related deaths - this f***ing country is riddled with hypocrisy and small-minded selfish idiots.

Johnysmall said:
Yeah my tutor has been saying from day 1 we must know flues insideout. I never realised before I done this course how much you had to learn, I found it a lot to take in over a year. Aparently some places say they can pass you with two weeks training, There is no way anyone can take all that information in, in two weeks. Even if I pass this week, I have no experience working on my own with gas...I may have the basic knowledge of gas, but would really have to think about fault finding on a boiler.....that can only be achieved with experience.

We have someone who works on our firm, who passed the exams after 8 days, from knowing nothing. Like I said before, I passed after 27 weeks (1 day a week), from nothing at all, and I mean nothing

Fast track is possible, but it usualy costs a lot (£3000+)

newcomers said:
Johnysmall said:
Yeah my tutor has been saying from day 1 we must know flues insideout. I never realised before I done this course how much you had to learn, I found it a lot to take in over a year. Aparently some places say they can pass you with two weeks training, There is no way anyone can take all that information in, in two weeks. Even if I pass this week, I have no experience working on my own with gas...I may have the basic knowledge of gas, but would really have to think about fault finding on a boiler.....that can only be achieved with experience.

We have someone who works on our firm, who passed the exams after 8 days, from knowing nothing. Like I said before, I passed after 27 weeks (1 day a week), from nothing at all, and I mean nothing

Fast track is possible, but it usualy costs a lot (£3000+)

Passing exams is one thing, but theyre designed for engineers with some sort of experience. Anyone with half a brain can revise from a book and then pass a multiple choice from the exact same text book.

It doesnt make you competent in your work.

Softus don't blame that test centre, the teacher at the centre I use gave the same advise (before he was killed on his motorbike). It is common knowledge.

I didn't take him up on it, neither did anyone else when I went through. This is because it is really stupid. We prided ourselves on hour knowledge and how many questions we could get right first time. We were trained to have the knowledge the test centre staff kept firing questions at us during the breaks and early morning before start chat to demonstrate to us how much further we had to go. That got us studying.

Then when you go to the open book exams you have very little to look up and with bags of time to spare, and you have the pleasure of the assessor shakling your hand at the end saying "well done m8 you flew through that".

If I had used the 50 50 method I wouldn't have had any satisfaction from the process, it would have taken me longer to pass, and I would have less real knowledge which has stuck.

As the corgi inspector said it's all very well knowing where to look things up but you're going to look pretty stupid in front of the customer looking in your book all the time. I try to keep the necessary knowledge in my head, although I am slipping a bit since examination because I've had to fill my head with BS7671 knowledge (which is a lot less searching).

Jonnysmall, If you take the time to actually read the yes/no questions you'll find they are very basic and should be easy for any competent installer (least part of the exam to worry about) :D

Yes exactly, and you can go out with your head held high. It's one of those unfortunate pieces of advice I would never give if I were a teacher, but it is a rife practice, so unfair to attack any one centre. Best to attack those who set the papers.

Paul Barker said:
Softus don't blame that test centre, the teacher at the centre I use gave the same advise (before he was killed on his motorbike). It is common knowledge.
Fair point. I didn't know that. I'll take it up with CORGI and the HSE then.

I didn't take him up on it...
I think I would have put money on you not being that stupid Paul - you and many other RGIs (but not all of them) on the forum.

I would imagine that anyone with a small amount of sense would be able to work out for themselves that that would be a plausible tactic on a question with two answers which you have two chances on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back