How did they charge my Paypal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought something from a very small business and handed my credit card.

She seemed to have a problem with that and asked for my email.

I discovered later that she had taken the payment from my Paypal!

But how did she do that without my password?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Phone paypal and say it was unauthorised and they will stop the transfer. The funds are not cleared so you can do that easily enough.

No, it was fine for the payment to be made.

But I just wonder how she did it without needing my password. Or indeed anything apart from my email address which so many people receive!

Tony

There is a system with Paypal where you can make a request from someone via their email address account. But it still needs to be authorised by the person who's been asked for the money. Never heard of it being withdrawn without the account holder's say-so.

Sponsored Links
just a thought
have you paid this company say on line by paypal thus putting you and them as a linked authorized partnership :?::?:

I bought something from a very small business and handed my credit card.

She seemed to have a problem with that and asked for my email.

I discovered later that she had taken the payment from my Paypal!

But how did she do that without my password?

Tony

There's something you're not telling us . . . is that by choice?

Lets throw some smoke at the internets & open up the possibility that someone can get money out of Paypal with just an email address !

What do you think I am not telling you.

Never paid them with PayPal before!

Tony

just a thought
have you looked at there terms and conditions that may shed light on whats going on??
words like "by signing/agreeing to a transaction you agree too"= giving authority
"we may try other payment methods to finalize the transaction"=from any source at our disposal ??

You can PAY someone with Paypal using their email address but -

they should not be able to deduct a payment from you.

The consequences are obvious if that were possible.

Did they have a paypal card reader?

They'll issue you a receipt via email, from PayPal, but that doesn't mean the money came 'through' your paypal acoount, it just came off the card AFAIK.

I gave them my MasterCard.

They asked for my address, then my email address.

Later I found a PayPal receipt email dealing with my payment to the trader.

I gave no pins or any other security information.

paypal is email address as the trigger point when "activated" with no other level off security as far as i can see

Everything I have done with paying from PayPal has always required using my password, "tealeaf".

Tony

I gave them my MasterCard.

They asked for my address, then my email address.

Later I found a PayPal receipt email dealing with my payment to the trader.

I gave no pins or any other security information.

I have a MasterCard that is issued by Paypal that enables me to pay for items using my Paypal account like using a debit card up to the value of the funds I have in my Paypal account. I can use the card contactless for small transactions under £30 and no security details are needed.

As others have pointed out, there is no way that the trader could have obtained a payment from your Paypal with just your email address. Have you actually checked both your MasterCard account and your Paypal account to see which account the funds were actually taken from - you've only mentioned having a Paypal receipt so far.

Is there a way that the shop keeper could have taken the payment from Agile's card but had it paid into his (shop keeper's) Paypal account so that it looks to Agile that it has come out of his Paypal account?

Edit - I suppose that's not a possibility if he's looking at his Paypal statement.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back