How do I fix this safely?

Does anyone know the procedure regarding the BCO? I did phone them to say that I might be doing the kitchen ring main. They sent me a form with a note to say the fee was £77 + VAT. Not sure what will happen next if I send the form back. Who will inspect the work? Do they come out to inspect before and after the work has been done? The form seems to suggest that I would need to get the work inspected, tested and certified by a qualified electrician anyway. Really confused about the procedure to follow rather than the actual work required.

Sponsored Links
What kind of junction box can be used to connect the two pieces of 6mm squared T+E. I notice that the 30A junction box I just bought says 2 x 2.5mm and the cutouts are not big enough for the 6mm squared cable. Steve.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
But is it rated to 45A?
Ah, no... but then again, he is going to have to look at de-rateing the circuit anyway, because neither is that fuseway...

New split load CU will be fitted in April. It's a 100 amp main switch 80 amp RCD 12 way Wylex. Thanks for showing concern though! I've got the 'Leccy board' coming over in 3 weeks to fit my free 100A isolator and then I've invited the BCO to inspect when I start works in early April. Steve.

cookercircuit.jpg

Decided to investigate the dodgy cable. Didn't like what I found! I've got 10mm squared (no earth!) connected to God knows what (anyone know what that is?), looks like rubber coated wire wrapped with brown fabric. This emerges from the ceiling in the Kitchen as 6mm sq white PVC T+E ! I did check that the oven is earthed with multimeter, it is, must be pinching an earth from the ring main (or lighting circuit, wouldn't be surprised).

Definitely think the last owners did this, typical of their standard of work. Looks like they decided to resurrect a condemned circuit in order to add the oven!

So after all that discussion about junction box ratings I am going to have to run a new cable anyway. I will run it under the floor joists with the planned new kitchen ring main. Any tips on doing that work appreciated. Steve.

I'm not certain, but it looks a bit like paper insulated, which might even be lead covered twin.

Whatever it is, its not good.

You'll be right as rain as long as the sheath ain't showin' any V's!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back