How do I mount 2 screws EXACTLY level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a LARGE wood framed mirror that I want to mount horizontally. It already has keyhole type slots in the back of the mirror about 5 feet apart. Problem is because the wall I am mounting it on is solid stone (behind the plaster), when I drill a hole it wanders a bit resulting in the 2 screws not being level......

Is there any way to use the 2 keyhole mountings but still have some adjustment up and down, in case the screws are not level?

Sponsored Links
Surely if the holes are 5' apart then a slight movement of the screw away from centre won't be noticeable?

If it is, then consider hanging it using picture wire instead, then you adjust/level it to your heart's content.

Softus said:
Surely if the holes are 5' apart then a slight movement of the screw away from centre won't be noticeable?

If it is, then consider hanging it using picture wire instead, then you adjust/level it to your heart's content.

i think its more a case of the screws wont fit in the slots as they are mis-alined ;)

i would have another go at the holes a n inch up or down but if you wits end you could as a last resort try my suggestion beneath

my suggestion is to use longer screws about 2.75 " leave an inch sticking out and tap the screw head a few mm to line up

you can also try screwing the correct screw into the side off the plug dependant on weight and strata the screw may hold satisfactory

you can also try the size screw size down to give you another couple of mm to play with but the best solution is the correct way ;)

Drill one hole, plug it and put the screw in.
Hang one bracket on the screw, then get a glamorous assistant to hold the mirror level, and in place.
Using a slightly smaller drill bit, that fits through the key hole bracket, start the 2nd hole. Change bits back up to the size for the plug, drill, and screw.

Job done.
:cool:

You were talking about the keyhole brackets that screw on...?

If not, that wont work :(

Sponsored Links
Drill your two holes as accuratly as possible then buy a pair of slotted mirror plates and position them on the back of the mirror to suit your screw positions (I am assuming the frame has cut keyhole slots if not just move the existing plates)

Jason

place a piece of batten across the back over the slots and mark the holes on the batten. drill holes through the batten. mark a level line up on the wall, place batten up to it. get someone to hold it and place drill through hole in battens and drill. roberts your mothers brother.

I bet that you are trying to drill the wall with a cordless drill....They do wander. Get yourself a SDS drill...Mark accurately & then drill the holes. No problem. Regards, Malkie.

If you are not able to drill the holes level, then the easiest thing to do is to see how much the mirror is out of level when fitted, and then adjust the keyhole slots in the back of the frame buy extending one slightly.

This will only work if the keyholes are in the frame and not the glass!

I bet that you are trying to drill the wall with a cordless drill.

eh? so what, I almost always use a cordless, an SDS (of which I own a cordless) will still wander if say for eg you hit right at the edge of a brick - it would of course toddle off into the cement.

Wow, plenty of ideas there then?
Many Thanks.....

The keyhole plates are actually screwed to the back side of the mirror's wooden frame with blind clearance slots (for the screw heads) machined in the frame.

I ended up drilling a hole in each of the keyhole plate just above the actual keyhole and threading some hanging wire through.

Thanks to all !

Just a little tip but make sure the keyhole brackets, if already fitted, are level,I bought a mirror like this a few years back,just couldn't get it level after several attempts, the mirror was getting lower and lower with each attempt, then I realised one bracket had been fitted 1/4" lower than the other!! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back