How do I replace a radiator with a slightly wider one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to replace the rad in the pic below in our downstairs toilet as part of a complete refurbish of the room. The new rad (left in the the pic below) is also a nominal 500mm wide but with the TRV and L/S, the assembly is actually approx 70mm wider than the old one. How do I get around this please?

full

Sponsored Links
Alter the pipework. Can you access the pipes below the floor?

I was going to remove and replace the tiles anyway, so maybe I can access the pipework. What should I expect below? Screed? How easy is it to alter the pipework in the screed if that's the case? Thanks.

Last edited:
Who knows mate?
But if you're removing the floorcovering anyway it's just a matter of doing what needs doing, to alter the pipework... In the world of plumbing, access is key... Make it easy for yourself... Making good is child's play!

Sponsored Links
You will need to either:

1. remove the tiles and floorboards below them to access the pipework and alter before replacing.
2. remove part of the ceiling immediately below it to alter pipework and drill a new hole through the floor to make a new hole for the new pipe position.
3. Untidy but don't do anything with the floor ceiling and put 2 45 degree pipe connectors in to get the vertical pipe where you want it.

Thanks DavidSWP but this is on the ground floor and there are no floorboards, just screed below the tiles I suspect. I wonder how much work it is to alter pipe work in screed?

Chase out floor large enough to work on pipe, cut back and clean/prepare, extend pipework to new locations with soldered joints; protect bare pipework with felt lagging or duct tape to protect it from line in cement; make good hole with sand and cement. Simples: couple hours work!

You could get a 400 mm rad and. As it is now shorter than the existing one and the valve connections , make the gap up with a radiator valve extension
Toolstation part number 37352

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back