How do you like your steak?

My mates wife has to have her steak cremated. Once, when we were in a decent restaurant when on holiday, three couples all opted for the Chateaubriand. Of course, she asked for theirs to be 'well done'. The waiter looked at her like she was mad. The chef even came and checked that was what she wanted. Their one came up like a charred sole of a boot. She enjoyed it, her husband was 'disappointed'. We still laugh about it. We've had Chateaubriand a few times since when we've been out. Mrs Mottie is not a real steak lover so she has something else, Mrs charred steak has...a charred steak and me and my mate have the Chateaubriand between us! When we order it, one of us will always say to the waiter "We're not a couple!".
Rightly or wrongly, I think some people (I probably fall into this category) prefer the idea of the meat being properly cooked all the way through. I get that people will say it 'is' cooked even though it might still be a bit red/pink in the centre, it's probably a visual thing i.e. if it's brown all the way through then it's cooked through.

Before anyone starts, I'm NOT saying what I've typed is factual from a scientific pov, I'm simply stating a possible reason why some prefer their steak well done.

Sponsored Links
Each to their own I suppose. Just that my own seems to be on par with what all chefs or food experts like too. I could never eat steak tartare though.

Each to their own I suppose. Just that my own seems to be on par with what all chefs or food experts like too. I could never eat steak tartare though.
I love steak Tartare. If it comes separately and you have to mix the raw minced steak with the raw egg and the herbs yourself, i have a bit of mental hurdle to overcome with the raw egg, but other than that its a great dish.

My 11 year old son seems to have inherited my carnivore tendencies and it's his favourite dish.

I must admit I've never tried it but I'm sure if I attempted it, Mrs Mottie would slap it off my fork if it got anywhere near my mouth. A friend of ours son had it one night when they were out with us for a meal, not knowing it was raw. He munched his way through it but she told us he was sick that night!

Sponsored Links
The best steaks I had when younger were in American Steak Houses in NY, and LA
Their portions when compared to ours at the time were MASSIVE, actually too big for me at the time.
Dad used to laugh about the portion sizes.

I had steak for lunch. The best way to cook it, I find, is to eat it while cooking. If that makes sense. Nothing tastes better than slicing a cooked bit off and eating it fresh. Steaks good too long lose their flavour, but equally, if rare in the middle, just not a great taste either. So I grill mine and slice bits off while cooking, so 1/4 is gone before I plate up!

The best steaks I had when younger were in American Steak Houses in NY, and LA
Their portions when compared to ours at the time were MASSIVE, actually too big for me at the time.
Dad used to laugh about the portion sizes.

I've had some good NY strips in US

but the "Argentine Steak houses" in Amsterdam are better.

Before anyone starts, I'm NOT saying what I've typed is factual from a scientific pov, I'm simply stating a possible reason why some prefer their steak well done.

I think a more likely reason is that your formed your eating habits as a child.

if you'd been brought up on raw fish or chocolate coated ants, you'd be just as happy as people eating snails in garlic. Or slugs in garlic; why not?

I had a mate who used to breed racing snails. One day he had the bright idea of removing the shell to make them go quicker. Turned out that it just made them more sluggish though.

I like my steak with Chips and mushrooms

Sponsored Links
Back