How does one become a fully qualified Plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had this question on my mind for quite sometime but I do not know how to answer it which is how does one become a fully qualified Plumber able to practice his trade? I have tried to research this question but to no avail so I was wondering whether someone who is a qualified Plumber would have the courtesy of answering it for me and future readers.

Sponsored Links
Usual route is to get an apprenticeship with a company, with day release to do your NVQ2 & NVQ3, which will take about four years

Usual route is to get an apprenticeship with a company, with day release to do your NVQ2 & NVQ3, which will take about four years

Do you need prior qualifications to take the NVQ if so what are they? Also will no prior qualification suffice for taking the NVQ

You usually need GCSEs in English & Maths, although some colleges will offer additional training if you're not up to the required standard

Sponsored Links
You usually need GCSEs in English & Maths, although some colleges will offer additional training if you're not up to the required standard

So you're not obliged to have a level 2 or 3 Diploma in Plumbing

Be aware it can be a bit of a slog getting work as all employers want experience, the diplomas on their own a almost worthless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back