How Does This Happen?

Sponsored Links
I would guess there was a back box in an ordinary plastered wall, then in typical Wetherspoon fashion it was decided the place had to have wooden cladding stuff they insist on.

This would explain why the socket is not centre of the wooden panelling - the socket was there first.

Naturally the carpenter hasn't time to cut a neat hole the same size as the back box - and naturally he won't have any long 3.5mm machine screws - but he has drill bits, and can just about get some woodscrews through the socket and into the excess wood that he idn't have time to trim.

I would guess there was a back box in an ordinary plastered wall, then in typical Wetherspoon fashion it was decided the place had to have wooden cladding stuff they insist on. ... This would explain why the socket is not centre of the wooden panelling - the socket was there first. ... Naturally the carpenter hasn't time to cut a neat hole the same size as the back box - and naturally he won't have any long 3.5mm machine screws - but he has drill bits, and can just about get some woodscrews through the socket and into the excess wood that he idn't have time to trim.
All perfectly credible speculation ... but, nevertheless, speculation :)

... although, on reflection, the screws can't really be going into "excess wood that he didn't have time to trim" - since, if he'd 'trimmed' more than a fraction further, there wood have been a visible gap between the wood and the faceplate!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I still think this has been done by their "electrician". The screw on the right looks to me to be a 'big head self drill' type, which is not typical of chippies stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back