How does this quote look??? for a new boiler/rads....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if its ok to ask these days on here but strap me to the ducking stool if its not !

To supply and install Valiant 937 ecotec plus A rated 37KW combination boiler in understair cupboard with a horizontal flue plus extension through wall. Remove and dispose existing boiler, hot water cylinder and cold water storage tanks.
To supply and install a built in electronic time clock.

All radiators have individual thermostatic valves excluding towel rail. To only repipe only where necessary.

1 Lounge 750mm x 1100mm DDF
2 Front Room 750mm x 800mm DDF
3 Rear Room 750mm x 800mm DDF
4 Hall 750mm x 800mm DDF
5 Bedroom 750mm x 800mm DDF
6 Bedroom 750mm x 800mm DDF
7 Bathroom 500mm x 1050mm Chrome Towel Rail

To supply and install the above system. £ 3900

Thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
does that include a powerflush. seem abit expensive, have you got another quote.

might be a little bit rich, but can't see the job and it might be loaded due to some unseen difficulty. If your happy with installer, they came recommended and fill you with confidence, go with it. But your on here asking so obviously your not happy!

Wouldn't say unhappy per se just thought it would be sub 3.5k

Just got it (first quote) so will probaby get another 2 for peace of mind.

The rads (supply/fit) added just over 1k to the price when we were just looking at the boiler change.

& I think it does include a power flush but will have to double chaack as it wasn't on the quote (just verbal if I remember right)

The Guy was spot on just the price seems a tad steep.

Sponsored Links
Well that bolier is about a grand, they will be running a fresh 22mm gas run to that bolier as I would assume your old system bolier is run in 15mm. Anyone with half a clue would power flush the old pipe work(about a £400 job) fit a magna clean (£150 part) and a chrome towel rail is about another 200quid, as you can see it all adds up, then if you have 1engineer + a mate they want £450 a day i would guess which may sound alot but by the time they start paying tax and vat, fuel etc etc u get my drift.

On a side note make sure you get good quality TRV's not some hokey cokey 2000 crap that will jam up in 3months.

Also make sure whoever signs off your bolier has part L (energy efficency) or you gotta let building regs know. I cannot remember the ins and outs of it maybe somebody on here could let us both know :)

SteveLondon";p="1397561 said:
they will be running a fresh 22mm gas run to that bolier as I would assume your old system bolier is run in 15mm.

Could need 28mm maybe even 35mm.

It is a 37kw boiler might be 12m or more from meter.?plus other appliances.

Coming in at 4m3 i'd expect to see the initial gas being run in 28 with 22 at the boiler so you will almost certainly need a gas upgrade.

your quote doesnt seem to specify which valves and rads as these can vary greatly in cost.

no mention of magnaclean,sentinel clean,boiler buddy.

Is that price +vat or inc

yeah true so used to running 22mm kinda over looked that :)

until i done the inlet pressure then i'd be ripping it all out and starting again :lol

Id say it looks competitive when you take into account the parts and time to do it.
The question is do you feel they will do a proper job. One way is to ask him for a couple of names of previous customers who you can call up to get references from. Of course whether you take them is another matter, its more to do with whether he is happy to put you in touch with previous customers. :D

I paid £2500 ish for the following.

New Boiler moved from inside the house to the garage
Magnaclean
2x Radiators moved to new locations
22mm Gas pipe, removal of old lead pipework and a new supply for my cooker.
All new pipework to kitchen and bathroom, removal of old lead pipework and fitting of new, this was unexpected but neccesary as we were unable to find the pipes as hey were bricked up inside a wall.
Fitted leadloc to my main supply and new stopcock.

As a comparrison 3900 seems about right, think my job took 4 days with the plumber and his son.

Wow thanks for the quick replies :D

Its inc vat & a gas pipe upgrade was mentioned.

I'll have to dig out a BG quote we got 2-3 years ago to put my mind at ease :evil: as it was over 4k for just a boiler change & not a very special one at that.....

I suppose the replies reinforce that to do a good job costs & you can get cheaper but at what cost down the line.

I'll ask about the magnaclean too as it sounds similar to what we have fitted in oil system pipes at work (they are a series of serrated discs in a housing fitted in-line)

Odd that nobody asked why all the rads are replaced, very rare that I find a need for that.
If the answer is along the lines of: the old ones are dirty, or, new ones are more effective, dump the guy who quoted and get another.

Odd that nobody asked why all the rads are replaced, very rare that I find a need for that.
If the answer is along the lines of: the old ones are dirty, or, new ones are more effective, dump the guy who quoted and get another.

Fair point but to be honest it was us who thought about changing them as they are 20 odd years old & a little scraped in places. So we asked for them to be added on & the extra cost was approx £1100.

We thought as the system would be drained anyway it would be cheaper to have then changed now rather than later. With changing them some of the sludge would go too (not that there is any problem at the moment)

An other option is to paint them but maybe a lot of time & effort for not a great look as I won't be able to get at the inner surfaces.

The final option is to leave them a couple of years until our extension is done & do them all then

Thinking more about it its maybe not too bad as I think he had quoted an hr per rad change leaving about £120 for parts.

For that boiler and a new system, I think it is a very good price, especially if it includes VAT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back