How fast do you work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope everyone had a good christmas, how long does it take you for example to connect a double socket, a ceiling rose or a four gang switch?
a silly question i know but the company I am employed by, only seems to emphasise speed what are your thoughts on this as it is really bothering me at the moment.

Sponsored Links
How long's a piece of string, depends, is the answer I'd imagine.

being told to hurry up every 2 mins isnt really helping with my confidence, I am a mature student if you will studying the c&g 2330 day release, and working for said company remainder of the week.
I really enjoy what I do and actually look forward going to work in the mornings, yes there is a credit crunch and I am lucky to be employed, none the less I dont want to botch an installation or leave it in a dangerous state for the end user.

In that case, stand your ground and say you want to do it right.

Sponsored Links
Hi hope everyone had a good christmas, how long does it take you for example to connect a double socket, a ceiling rose or a four gang switch?
a silly question i know but the company I am employed by, only seems to emphasise speed what are your thoughts on this as it is really bothering me at the moment.

Double socket - 2-3mins

Dryline double socket - 5mins

Ceiling Rose - 5-10mins

Four gang switch - 10-15mins

Hello RMAK,

Take as long as you need to do the job correctly.
It is very difficult to say how long an individual 'point' takes. Although most go smoothly, others you can be fiddling about for what seems like ages ! :oops: (running out to the van for your re-threader and your long 3.5's, fetching more sleeving etc etc etc :LOL: :LOL: ). When I was a youngster (in my 20's!!) if the foreman was 'on my case' I used to panic and this only made things worse, now that I'm in my forties I would hand the foreman my tools and tell him if he wants it done quicker, he can do it himself. (?? maybe thats why I'm out of work at the moment !!! :cry: )

Oh, one thing I didn't take into account, you are not on individual/combined 'pricework' are you ??? ;) :LOL:

Maybe getting him to 'show' you how fast he wants them done might be enlightening to you both.

Good Luck

Ed

Ive lost a lot of speed on installs as i spend nearly all my time on routine maintenance works.
So when i get to do some SWA say a 2-way term of 6mm 3-core into a cutout i have to think all the time of the next step.
If i was doing that everyday id be a lot quicker but i usually spend my days changing lamps and photocells.

I suppose we should really ask you how long it takes you, and then let you know if your boss is being fair.

I agree that an install must remain safe and the job be done correctly, but a company must also be able to justify invoices issued with regards hours etc.

now that I'm in my forties I would hand the foreman my tools and tell him if he wants it done quicker, he can do it himself..........Maybe getting him to 'show' you how fast he wants them done might be enlightening to you both.

I feel the same!

If somebody criticises how I work, I ask them to show me how it should be done, then stand back and wait...

If you're learning the trade you should focus on neatness and correctness. If you can work quickly, and not everyone can, speed with accuracy will come in time, when you find a systematic approach that suits you personally.

Not all companies share an ideal and if you feel over-pressurised a different sector may suit you. I've worked for employers that have accused me of being too slow and for employers that I've completed tasks too quickly for.

But like a I say the correct way to learn ANYTHING is carefully. A driving instructor doesn't tell you to drive quicker on your first lesson, a trainee secatary wont type at 120wpm on her first day.

....... A driving instructor doesn't tell you to drive quicker on your first lesson, a trainee secatary wont type at 120wpm on her first day.

but some companies do seem to take on managers with little or no experience of the job they are managing, and expect them to start producing positive results immediately.

We used to call them seagull managers - they would fly in, pull apart everything around them, make a hell of a racket, cr*p on everyone underneath them and fly out again yelling to the world about what a good job they had done before anyone could catch up with them :rolleyes:

took me about hour and half to change two dryline boxes over to metal boxes plus put the noggins in and rewire the two switched spurs. But i am a plumber and not a sparky. ( my own place)

Double socket - 2-3mins
Find and fit grommet ,sleeve cpc. install link to back of box , screw socket back whoops stripped thread and screw snapped. remove old screw re thread box test and document 30mins

Dryline double socket - 5mins find box has been held in with pollyfilla which promptly falls out .remove box cable falls in cavity, retrieve cable polly fill box back in wait a few mins connect socket put thumb in new pollyfilla when screwing back find socket will not be secure remove socket cut new hole find cable is to short to reach get in van and go home

Ceiling Rose - 5-10mins find cover has been painted and is stuck hit with hammer to free it breaking it in the process,find rose is held up with one screw disconnect rose get distracted by question from householder lose switch wire because no cables are sleeved, find cpc`s are all different length and twisted together untwist them one breaks off,try to gain length on cable to restrip find it is clipped to joist above. find and mark switch wire reconnect and sleeve cables switch on and mcb trips trace cable and realise that that was not the switchwire after all,reconnect test and leave 40mins

Four gang switch - 10-15mins
remove switch taking with it a section of wallpaper because you forgot to score round it. Screw shears of in box and lug falls out,cables fall out of switch because its been there 20 years and under load the cables have loosened, find neutrals and cpc`s are in connectors in back of box. disconnect all cables remove and replace old box make good round box re stick wall paper, sleeve and reconnect switch . liven cct test and leave return some hours later because householder says second switch used to switch light on in shed or whatever re connect switch get in van and go home 40mins
:D :D

4 an hour steady.

Chisel/score excess plaster from box.
Run tap (rethreader) down holes, brush out back box, strip connect, fasten back and level up.

Including smoke breaks, brews and the odd phone call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back