How hard can it be to install an inline relay?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Am fitting an inline relay on light circuit. The inline relay will be switched on and off by an RF PIR.

So, there are three supply cables. Live, Neutral and Earth.

The inline relay has five connectors. I can see the L and N for the Live and Neutral.

But it has three outputs. Two loads and one COM.

There are three cables that go to the light. Brown, Blue and Earth. Where in the relay do these cables go? Does the brown cable go into the load? (arrow through a wavy line symbol?)

Sponsored Links
Surely there were wiring instructions with the unit?

Give us the maker and model number and I can GOOGLE it for you, but maybe you could try that yourself. ;)

At a guess the purpose of the contacts could be ..
Live and Neutral - powers the relay electronics

Common - connect supply for the thing you want to switch
L1 - switches ON when relay is energised, normally Off
L2 - switches Off when relay energised, normally On

Guess work is all it can be without more info on the relay. Were there no instructions or drawings?

Tony

I know common connects the supply to the light...but you're not telling me which wire goes into common and which into L1 and L2.

To put it really simply. Imagine I had a three core cable with Brown, Blue and Earth.

Now imagine I cut this cable in half (isolated of course!) because I want to fit the inline relay in the middle.

From the supply side, I obviously put the brown and blue into the Live and Neutral sockets of the relay.

But the brown and blue that are left. Where do they go in the relay?

Instructions are here: http://www.lightwaverf.com/upload/pdf/JSJSLW821_inlinerelay_manual.pdf

Sponsored Links
The relay contacts will be volts free, so if you are switching the mains you will need to loop L and Com and as has already been stated L1 connection will be N/0 and the other L2 N/C so,
you would connect your load to which ever you require the relay to switch.

KA :D

FFS Its all there in the info you have sent the link to.

Look down until you get to the part that is headed

Connecting the Inline Relay to a Mains Powered Circuit

The drawing there shows you EXACTLY how to do it.

So no-one on here knows which wires that go to the light connect to the L1 or L2 and COM?

FFS Its all there in the info you have sent the link to.

Look down until you get to the part that is headed

Connecting the Inline Relay to a Mains Powered Circuit

The drawing there shows you EXACTLY how to do it.

FOR ONCE WE AGREE !

Taf………….

KA

That doesn't help.
Assuming you're switching a mains powered light, you need to connect as follows ..

Supply cable L (brown) to Relay L
Supply cable N (blue) to Relay N
A separate additional wire to link Relay L to Relay COM

Light cable L (brown) to Relay output (either would work)
Light cable N (blue) also to Relay N (to join it to the supply N in effect)
Supply Earth to Light Earth using a terminal block or similar.

In the PDF, have a look at the section "Connecting the Inline Relay to a Mains Powered Circuit"

Hi Aesmith thanks for being helpful and understanding the question! :D

The instructions were confusing as they jump to a section about installing the relay to a non-mains or low voltage supply.

So just to clarify, a completely separate wire simply goes from Relay L to Relay COM?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back