How Long Have VOLEX Consumer Units been available?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although considered quite poor in quality, I first noticed them in a 2004 screwfix catalogue, are they a relatively new thing? I know Volex have been making other accessories for a lot longer.

Regards

Sponsored Links
At least 30 years that I know of, and there were brown ones that were old even then.

John, you thinking of Wylex?

The Wylex standard consumer unit was introduced in either 1956 or 8, can't be sure which, but Wylex was established in 1897.

Did you know?

Wylex was responsible for producing the first "consumer unit", which was the forerunner to the Standard range.

Sponsored Links
Volex have been around a good 30 years I remember the old man having Volex supplies for HV cabling.

I have put in a few Volex CU's lately, they seem to have uped their game a bit with the dual boards, more rigid, plenty of room and quite attractive :eek:

Still a little tight with the RCBO :rolleyes:

CEF now supply a dual board from MCG (I think) loads of space in them especially for RCBO however they do look like a caravan hung on the wall

Still at £45 fully loaded when cost is an issue it is a worthwhile option

I've just bought a 11 way volex board with 100amp dp isolator and associated mcbs. Had the same thing in my last place installed new and has been fine. More than happy with the quality and good price. Thinking of getting some RCBO's for certain circuits. Do these slot in even if tight fit? The mcb's are b type.

This is what i bought http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45559...Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit

dual board from MCG

puke3.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back