How many billion to tart up the Houses of Parliament?

The building is a good example of form over function.

You're probably right, but some buildings need to consider style as well as - or occasionally in place of - substance;

"all architecture proposes an effect on the human mind, not just a service to the human frame" (Ruskin).

Sponsored Links
It works out at around £1million per sq foot. What a bargain.

£17,500 per square foot.

show us the maths.

Just been reading this story so thought I'd help out (interfere!) because I believe jeds is right. The Houses of Parliament (Palace of Westminster) covers approximately 8 acres, which is approximately 350,000ft², so the maths would be:
£6,000,000,000 ÷ 350,000 = £17, 143 per ft²

That's still a little high end for my liking though! ;)

£17,500 per square foot.

show us the maths.

Just been reading this story so thought I'd help out (interfere!) because I believe jeds is right. The Houses of Parliament (Palace of Westminster) covers approximately 8 acres, which is approximately 350,000ft², so the maths would be:

I can assure you that this is far from being the first time Joe has been proven wrong.
No point expecting him to admit it, though! :rolleyes:

£17,500 per square foot.

show us the maths.

But that is the whole site. What about the buildings?

Sponsored Links

£17,500 per square foot.

show us the maths.

I can assure you that this is far from being the first time Joe has been proven wrong.
No point expecting him to admit it, though! :rolleyes:

I can assure you this isn't the first time JRB has bored everyone.

£17,500 per square foot.

show us the maths.

But that is the whole site. What about the buildings?
Do it the other way around Joe. A million per square foot means 6000 million is a building 6000 sq/ft. A lot of High St shops are 5000 to 6000 sq/ft.

It is a horrendous cost but when you factor in the shear inaccessibility of most parts of the building and also remember this is a grade 1 listed monument of significant importance the methods and techniques utilised to repair it isn't like how they throw up the latest carboard cutout housing estate.

It's going to cost a lot due to the lack of any serious maintenance over the last few decades. Unfortunately it's got to the point now where the cost is that great it would probably cost a lot less to flatten the site and build a shiney new 'Eco' building they are so fond of.

Wonder if they can get an EU grant...:whistle:

For info, the Scottish Parliament Hollyrood took 5yrs to build at a cost of £414m and the Welsh Assembly Seneth also took 5yrs at £70m. Both at a fraction of the cost of HoP repairs but my oh my they are both ugly modern architectural structures.

They can't knock it down otherwise they would have to change all the sauce bottles.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back