How Many Eon Engineers Does it Take to Change a Meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago I had a letter from Eon asking me to make an appointment to have my old electricity meter replaced. As there is tar dripping from the cutout, I thought it would ask them to see to that at the same time. Oh no they said, nothing to do with us you’ll need Central Networks for that, I was put through. ....and the telephone was answered by...... Eon. They said they would send someone else out at the same time to change the cut out. (Why does it take two?) I wasn’t convinced. Don’t worry said Eon / Central Networks, we’ll get someone to call you back with confirmation. No one called.

So I used their 'contact us form' on the Internet giving my details and asking for someone to call me and confirm our arrangement. No one called.

So I telephoned again “don’t worry it’s been arranged” I was told. I wasn’t convinced, so I was given the job number and a telephone number to call in case something went wrong. It’s like even they were expecting it to.

On the agreed day, the man came to change the meter. As I feared, he knew nothing about the cutout change so I rang the number. This time it was a subcontract company, they knew of the job but weren’t planning to come for two weeks. They hadn’t let us know that though.

So now the cut out will be changed tomorrow (hopefully)

No wonder our utilities cost so much. Why is someone who changes a cutout incapable of changing a meter also?

So, tomorrow another engineer will call and disconnect the same tails and break the new seals just fitted and replace the cut out. As well as the duplicate labour there’s travelling time and fuel, what a waste of resources. In addition the equipment is located under the stairs cupboard so I will have to empty the contents of the cupboard again, but I’ll have plenty of time as I have a whole day of my annual holiday allowance to do it. :evil:

But it could get worse. I also mentioned that one screw holding the wooden board that the meter is on has pulled out of the wall. Should I be expecting a third visit from the Eon screw tightening department?

Strange thing is though, although they seem to love labour generating schemes, I wonder why they couldn’t find anyone to contact me?

Sponsored Links
Why is someone who changes a cutout incapable of changing a meter also?

Its completely different skills. The guy who changes the meter (with respect) isn't very highly skilled. He can change meters on his own because he can work safely - he can pull out the fuse. He will be tasked to do laots of these low-level jobs a day.

Changing the cable head is a very different matter. There is no fuse to pull unless they chop off half of your neighbours by disconnecting at the sub station - and people don't like that.
So this work is done LIVE. It is done by experienced and careful engineers wearing substantial protective equipment. They come in twos, for safety, in case something goes wrong.

The guy who changes the meter (with respect) isn't very highly skilled. He can change meters on his own because he can work safely - he can pull out the fuse. He will be tasked to do lots of these low-level jobs a day.
Yes, but my question was the other way around

Maybe he (or she) feels it's beneath him ;)

Maybe he (or she) feels it's beneath him ;)

While that may be true, the business case is more likely to be that the guys who repair and replace cutouts will be paid significantly more than the meter fitter. As such, it would be a waste to send them out on meter jobs when they can get someone to change ten meters a day for a fraction of the price.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with you that it's slightly crazy, mind, although the fact that so much work is subcontracted out is more of a concern.

Sponsored Links
It's the pay rate reason, for sure.

Also, I know that in reality everything has ended up owned by the same French and German companies, but in theory the meter and the cutout are the property of two different entities.

lucky you that anyone came i got a letter saying they were coming to upgrade meter on certain day so i arranged to make sure some1 would be in then they didnt turn up!!so i rang and they informed me they were really busy due to cold weather and flooding etc and rearranged, once again day came no one turned up rang again no apologies rearranged again!!third time lucky?no such luck!!!so just gave up and heard nothing from them!!so annoying and unproffessional i dont know how they get away with it!!they just seem to please themselves!!rant over!! :evil:

Put a claim i for compensation due to lost time off work and telling them you want to get this sorted within say, 14 days, if it is not resolved to your satisfaction you will be contacting trading standards or someone similar.

Should make them get their fingers out.

i just absolutely gave up just thought there not wasting my time no more!!but i will do that as i suppose ranting bout it and doing nothing is how they get away with it all the time!i knew they would be like this as it happens all the time at work when we have rewired houses changed boards etc and we want the meter upgraded etc or card meters cleared they just dont wanna know!!!

In the olden days, two men will come along and change both the service fuse block and the meter in one visit - pre private days - it was far more efficient, and would have met the EU's legal CO2 reduction target, if it were practised today!

EDF actually told me that because they considered petrol was far too cheap nowadays, they had actually needed to waste petrol in order to meet their performance targets! - what a farce! - and they are supposed to reduce their CO2 footprint! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back