How much mark up on parts prices is acceptable?

Faced with a SIL choosing a £300 bottle of wine he simply could not lose face and say it was too expensive!

Sponsored Links
I've seen him blow more than that on bottles in the motherland. There were only a few bottles lower down the scale anyway.

He's a strange old bird :D.

Midas, could you post the exact make and model of boiler!

Boiler engineers have to buy a new part and get it the same day from a local stockist.

They cannot buy parts that have been stolen from employers or even things sourced from cheap areas like Lancashire to be delivered a day or two later.

Tony

I found at least 6 reputable online heating stores that were charging around the £50 mark with next day delivery. I'm not talking about eBay. If I'm happy to wait a day or two without heating that's my perogative.

Maybe I'm just the kind of person that likes things black and white. Like I already said I'm not expecting to pay online prices but was querying the level of mark up. I recently had the motor go on another boiler and the cost of the part was what you would expect to pay from a local merchant.

I'd rather somebody told me the part costs £50 but there's a sourcing fee of £70 at least I know where I stand. To me *excessive* parts mark leaves a poor taste in the mouth just like deliberately going in to the next charging period and it's simply really as a customer I'll just use a different engineer next time there's plenty of decent and honest tradespeople out there and they are the ones I'll recommend to my friends.

Sponsored Links
I'd rather somebody told me the part costs £50 but there's a sourcing fee of £70 at least I know where I stand. To me *excessive* parts mark leaves a poor taste in the mouth just like deliberately going in to the next charging period and it's simply really as a customer I'll just use a different engineer next time there's plenty of decent and honest tradespeople out there and they are the ones I'll recommend to my friends.

its not a "sourcing fee"

why not ask him if he is prepared to drop his price on the understanding that if it needs attention or replacing you will pay him his usual charges instead

That sounds good.

But the reality is that engineers are unlikely to get most parts any cheaper than the customer.

If the customer buys from Ebay they are entering a world of stolen/faulty/used goods which can take 2-3 days to be posted and delivered.

Most professionals would only wish to purchase over the counter the same day and in a sealed makers box.

So back to the OP what is the boiler make and model?

Tony

As for my last post. When you order a soft drink in a bar, and they squirt is out of the little nozzle.

That syrup they mixed with fizzy water cost something like 0.02 pence.

It can work out cheaper to buy bottled coke than to use coke mix.
Unless your getting a good bulk saving.
I asked the question in my local pub, why he oftens uses cans of coke or bottles & he told me its cheaper.

1l of syrup makes about 7 litres of coke (Coca Cola)
Syrup works out at over £3 a litre, then you got the gas on top to make it all fizzy, the running costs ie cleaning/electricity/maintainance, etc. of the soda fountain on top.

You can go to a supermarket & pick up a 2l bottle of coke for £1 when on offer - usually Coke or Pepsi are always on offer in one of the larger supermarkets.

Your not in a pub to drink as cheaply as possible, you can do that at home. A pub still has running costs, electricity, etc. - even Sky is priced at a silly amount because it is done on the maximum occupancy.
Sky dont care only 20 people go there to watch a game. They care about the place can hold 300 people - so they wanted £1800 a month of him.
He has no sky anymore :LOL: :LOL:

That sounds like the kind of pub that I would choose!

I stay clear of most pubs ( except for the gastropubs ) and particularly those playing Sky sports. I can watch those better at home!

A pub still has running costs, electricity, etc. - even Sky is priced at a silly amount because it is done on the maximum occupancy.
Sky dont care only 20 people go there to watch a game. They care about the place can hold 300 people - so they wanted £1800 a month of him.
He has no sky anymore :LOL: :LOL:
[/quote]

I rather think that was Dan's point :eek: :)

I think the op is a tad deaf

a WHAT MAKE AND MODEL IS THE BOILER.

HELLO

HELLO

HELLOO

oh sod it.

Jeff

I've always viewed boiler parts as the smallest part of a repair bill, but lots of hassle so I always charged a 100% markup on these items. Oh you can buy cheaper on-line, but if I support my local indie spares wholesaler, he's going to be there for years & provides a great service.

I rarely buy spares from the Nationals or on-line suppliers.

Any punter that starts quizzing about spares prices, I turn on my heals & head for the door. There's one price for my time & my spares, like it or lump it!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back