How much mark up on parts prices is acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my boiler diagnosed with a dead fan.
I'm not expecting to pay cheapest internet prices for my parts but what is acceptable and how to deal with it when it's excessive?
(I have been given a guide price by the engineer not yet fixed).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Phone around local heating spares suppliers and see what they charge.

or

2) Buy it from the internet providing that your engineer is prepared to fit it.

or

3) If you don't like the price that you've been offered then look around for a more acceptable price.

whatever he deems reasonable
if he fits it and it fails will you pay him extra to remove get another and refit ??

if you buy one on line and it fails its your item that fails so requires the cost off a plumber to come and replace

The part costs £50 online.
The engineer "thinks" it's between £100 and £130.
Problem is I feel like I'm exposing him if I tell him it's £50 online and would he mind fitting it.

Sponsored Links
online prices can be a lot cheaper than merchants but your engineer needs to add on for time going to buy and collect it, if it comes from online and is the wrong one or faulty then you have to pay to return it and wait for a replacement, and your engineer will charge you twice for fitting the fan, it could work out a lot more expensive if you order it yourself online, if the engineer supplies a faulty one then it is up to them to get a replacement at their cost not yours.

online prices can be a lot cheaper than merchants but your engineer needs to add on for time going to buy and collect it, if it comes from online and is the wrong one or faulty then you have to pay to return it and wait for a replacement, and your engineer will charge you twice for fitting the fan, it could work out a lot more expensive if you order it yourself online, if the engineer supplies a faulty one then it is up to them to get a replacement at their cost not yours.

Fair enough. I just wanted to know how much mark up is acceptable.
When my car mechanic charges me for parts they're usually close to the general retail price so I was just curious.

Thanks

How much markup do pubs put on post mix soda drinks?
Never mind pubs. We went to a graduation party for my double-doctorate step-daughter-in-law last week at a posh-ish hotel.
£9.60 for a pint of cider and an Irish and tonic. :eek: Not be darkening the doorstep again!

Normal mark-up for (scrupulous) merchants to trade (bear in mind they don't charge for their time discussing your purchase, the weather, expect you to provide them with free tea/coffee and biscuits) is 25-30% on everyday items, 50%+ on specials ordered in.

I've lost count of the amount of dimblebrains who asked me what they should charge their customer. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to know how much mark up is acceptable.

Perfectly acceptable question if we lived in a Bolshevik state. However in a free market economy it's like asking how much sand a beach should contain.

The part costs £50 online.
The engineer "thinks" it's between £100 and £130.
Problem is I feel like I'm exposing him if I tell him it's £50 online and would he mind fitting it.

Yes Mrs Brown, I'm afraid the widget on your POS boiler has gone. I know it's January and 10 below outside, but I always source my parts online as it's a lot cheaper than the merchants. When I get home tonight, I'll trawl the internet to shave every last penny off the cost, or may try and 'win' one on Ebay for you. Sorry, but I'll be back next week, Royal Mail willing, to fit it. Hope you and your 4 kids can do without heat and hot water till then. Bye!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The internet is grea - but it has a lot to answer for.

As for my last post. When you order a soft drink in a bar, and they squirt is out of the little nozzle.

That syrup they mixed with fizzy water cost something like 0.02 pence.

Took the outlaws to a swanky restaurant last time they were over.

Honourable FIL asked me to choose the wine.

I thought £4K was a bit rich so chose a bottle around £300.

Took a subtle snap of the label google later. Tesco had it for £60. I've drunk better at the £30 mark.

Food was epic though. ;).

Was the FIL paying?

I cannot imagine any RGI buying a £300 bottle of wine!

Midas, could you post the exact make and model of boiler!

Boiler engineers have to buy a new part and get it the same day from a local stockist.

They cannot buy parts that have been stolen from employers or even things sourced from cheap areas like Lancashire to be delivered a day or two later.

Tony

Indeed he was.

Go there once a year with her indoors - but I am a bit more restrained.

It was a difficult decision - but apparently it was approved of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back