How much of a risk is it not earthing a ceiling light?

Sponsored Links
OK - I think you got me.

Downside though would be ensuring that the internal components could cope with 20x the current they were designed for....

Sponsored Links
OP here. Not dead, not gone elsewhere, nor am I trolling. I stopped receiving email updates and assumed the thread had run its course. Very surprised when I just checked back - this has to be a record number of replies for me. No longer will I dabble in the mundane...

A genuine thank you for the the constructive, professional advice.

Anticipating a turning-back-on of the vitriol tap; is there a way to insulate the lights that we have bought already?

Also, when we moved in we had an electrics check done. I will have to dig it out again, however, at no point when I read it did I get the sense that there was anything unsafe, rather that the electrics could do with a bit of an update. The electrician was NICEC(?) registered. The property was built in 1957 and I assume has had no wiring TLC since.

OP here. Not dead, not gone elsewhere, nor am I trolling. I stopped receiving email updates and assumed the thread had run its course. Very surprised when I just checked back - this has to be a record number of replies for me. No longer will I dabble in the mundane...

A genuine thank you for the the constructive, professional advice.

Anticipating a turning-back-on of the vitriol tap; is there a way to insulate the lights that we have bought already?

Also, when we moved in we had an electrics check done. I will have to dig it out again, however, at no point when I read it did I get the sense that there was anything unsafe, rather that the electrics could do with a bit of an update. The electrician was NICEC(?) registered. The property was built in 1957 and I assume has had no wiring TLC since.

What type of consumer unit do you have. that should give some clue as to the state of the wiring. if its an old type fusebox with the replaceable fuse wire type fuses, then get it checked asap, it could be a matter of life and death! Especially if you are indeed correct, that the wiring has had no attention since 1957! Also, as mentioned on here, is the cable grey rubber, white pvc or grey pvc. if its the latter, get it checked out, if you have lead cabling, arrange a Spark tomorrow morning!!

However, an NICEIC-registered electrician carrying out a PIR is as fallible as a NAPIT electrician, an ECA electrician or any other and may well dream up non-existent requirements. In fact, I have yet to see a correctly compiled PIR, largely for this reason.

I'll send you one of mine one day, I wont pretend that I think I'll be 100% in your book (90% would do just fine ;)) , nor do I beleive the regs to be as absolute as you make them out to be and there is always a certain amount of engineering judgement needed as to whether whats installed on site meets the requirements laid down. But I try to be better than a lot :D

Glad you're alive, OP :). You're wiring wasn't necessarily unsafe... until you fitted metal light switches/fittings to an unearthed lighting circuit. Get it sorted. No you can't insulate the lights. Can't you return them?

FFS - I can't believe this thread is still live - take the f-ing thing down or get the place rewired!!

It's as simple as that.

As a consumer, you can't make any device that wasn't designed to be double insulated so.

Just accept it and put it right.

Are your families lives that worthless?

Here was the ceiling wiring before I attached the wrong fitting. Don't know if this indicates the state/age of the wiring?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/cxgcxg/Image007-1.jpg

For a start, it looks like the live and neutral are the wrong way round.
I would expect the single black to be LIVE
and I would expect the two blacks to be NEUTRAL.

Your picture suggests that you haven't got the really crummy old rubber or VIR cable.

However, as mentioned before, earth wires are sometimes shoved up in the ceiling void.
They can sometimes be cut off, if the wiring is of a certain age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back