How to adjust height ceiling/pendant light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, a quick query that I haven't found elsewhere (probably because it's so obvious). I've just had a ceiling/rise and fall pendant light installed but I wasn't at home at the time so I didn't know at what height it was done. Can someone please explain how I adjust the height of the cord? Do I have to get inside the cover plate to fix the slack of the card once I've chosen the right height? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks. Marc

Sponsored Links
Hello all, a quick query that I haven't found elsewhere (probably because it's so obvious). I've just had a ceiling/rise and fall pendant light installed but I wasn't at home at the time so I didn't know at what height it was done. Can someone please explain how I adjust the height of the cord? Do I have to get inside the cover plate to fix the slack of the card once I've chosen the right height? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks. Marc

Any pictures available?

On the one I bought in Germany, you just pull it down or push it up.

There's a sprung loaded coil for the spare string, and inside the 'rose' (just a cover that slides up the wire), there's a friction adjustment in case the luminaire doesn't stay where you put it, or is too stiff.

Sponsored Links
no such German efficiency for mine unfortunately, the cord doesn't budge when I try and push it up.

When you take the ceiling rose down what is attaching the cord to the rose?
Is there a screw pressed against the cord or something?

that would be the tiny screw clearly visible on the right hand side of the cone shaped bit in the photo..

we used to have fittings that had a thin steel wire in the middle of the coiled cable for the light. the thin wire was would up at the top and spring loaded with the perfect tension, so that you could take hold of the fitting and move it up and down and it would magically stay there. :LOL:

The light in the photo - if the steel wire was made shorter, I'd have concerns about the length of the electrical wire. Unless there is space to accomodate it within the dome of the fitting.

Weird. Do you have a link to the place it was bought from? The photo looked like there was a second support cable, but I suppose that's a shadow. If it really does rise and fall, the support cable has to disappear into either the top or bottom fitting. Looks like more room in the top one. It it were me, I'd undo those knurled screws and look inside.

(Of course you should turn off the mcb for the lighting circuit.)

Must have better eyesight than me :eek:

If you click on the piccy then click again on the arrow symbol, it max's the image.

That looks like it's a fixed light fitting.

Unless the mechanism is in the lampholder end, which I doubt.

Did the guy not leave the instructions?

It looks like an Ikea fitting.

conveniently my internet conked out last night......

thanks for all the responses - I'll try and unscrew the knurled screws at the top. As for instructions, they're minimal and don't talk about it. Link to the site where I bought it from is below - it refers to the max drop which suggests you can reduce the drop (I hope.....)

http://dwell.co.uk/107329/Sliced-plate-pendant-light-silver

That site appears to refer to rise and fall lighting as 'adjustable height' and only one of their products is called that. I don't think that what you have bought is a rise and fall light. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back