How to adjust height ceiling/pendant light

Likely that 'maximum drop' refers to how the light is supplied, and to reduce it you undo the small screw in the silver cone part, pull the wire through to whatever length you want and tighten the screw.

Sponsored Links
That's a very good spot (and not good news for me). Just called the shop up, and despite sounding pretty clueless the guy was pretty sure that I could adjust it. Only one way to find out I guess....... :D can't imagine anyone's that interested but I'll let you know what happens! Thanks again for the time and help.

Yeah, you can adjust it, in the sense that when fitting it, you can decide how far down it hangs, but not in the sense that you can push it up and down at will, after it is fitted. Oh well, we live and learn.

Post a better pic of the bit above the holder.

That appears to be some sort of mechanism, possibly to wind it up.
The maximum drop looks determined by the electrical wire so is max now.

I quess that it winds up, have you tried a light pull down to release the mechanism and then it might raise up.

The allan key grubscrew in the cone would probarly adjust the minimum drop more , once the units wound in, if desired

Sponsored Links
Well, by unscrewing the cover plate and undoing another allen screw, I can push the wire up further to get the pendant at the desired height. As BS3036 said, you can adjust the height when you install, but not push it up and down at will, but wasn’t expecting that so no issues there.

The wire’s only held in position by the pressure of the tightened allen screw, so remains to be seen whether it will hold the 12kg weight of the pendant, but we’ll see. Thanks again to everyone for all their help and advice, massively appreciated.

If you're fitting the shade it's supplied with then it ought to hold it - if not the thing is not of merchantable quality.

If you plan on fitting a different shade that weighs more than the supplied one then you're on your own..

If you're fitting the shade it's supplied with then it ought to hold it - if not the thing is not of merchantable quality.

If you plan on fitting a different shade that weighs more than the supplied one then you're on your own..

Not to worry, I'll be using the supplied one (not planning on pushing my luck). I gave the wire a decent couple of tugs and it seems to hold fine.

If your concerned about it pulling through, slide a connecter block over the steel wire within the housing, that will give two extra screws.
If really worried then loop the steel wire through the connecter block twice.

If your concerned about it pulling through, slide a connecter block over the steel wire within the housing, that will give two extra screws.
If really worried then loop the steel wire through the connecter block twice.

Good idea, will do that. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back