How to join a solid wood worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to join some solid wood pieces together to make a desktop.

I have some left over pieces of solid oak wood top which had previously been cut into pieces (don't ask). I would now like to use the wood to make a desk. My question is what is the best way to join the pieces together to create a solid desktop which I can attached legs/frame to to make a desk?

My first obvious thought was glue but assume this would not be strong enough. What is the best way to create the solid desktop? I have very limited woodcrafting skills and tools.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6617.JPG
    IMG_6617.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
Can I suggest a look @

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making+a+worktop+from+planks

In there you will find a load of clips that will give a good heads up.

One way is to joint the edges of the boards with a "Biscuit Joint System" + a decent wood glue.

Can I also suggest you organise your boards as Wide, Narrow, Wide Narrow, Wide.

You will also need some method [there are several] of "Cramping" the boards up tight together.

Ken

Can I suggest a look @

Can I also suggest you organise your boards as Wide, Narrow, Wide Narrow, Wide.

Ken

Perfect thanks Ken!

Found a very useful video and also now know there is such as a thing as a dowel jig which looks like something within my capabiities

Many thanks

Wood glue is immensely strong, and biscuits are more for alignment than being required for strength. Clamping them up properly (having evenly spread the glue) is the most important thing.

Sponsored Links
I would stain the narrow strips before assembly to give it some visual interest, and make a feature of the fact that it's 5 strips of wood rather than trying to pretend it isn't.

one other small thing is try not to get the glue on to the face of the timber, it may stain the surface, OK not a lot but??

one other small thing is try not to get the glue on to the face of the timber, it may stain the surface, OK not a lot but??

Thanks for advice everyone. I have purchased a dowel jig as following a video on YouTube looks like a job which is (hopefully) within my skill set.

Any advice on which glue would be best? or will any decent wood glue work

Also, I am swaying towards a wood stain rather than varnish. Any good brands I should look out for. I swear by Liberon for my desk stain

As for Glue?

Suggest you look @ titebond?

There may be other suggestions that pop up

You'll be needing a set of sash clamps for this. You can buy just the heads and then bolt them on to some basic sawn timber and they'll come in handy for other jobs too. (They can also be mounted 'back to front' for pushing apart rather than clamping together). They used to sell these in machine mart, but I can't see them right now.

FAISCHEAD-1-500x500.jpg

Nozzle

The easiest thing to do is to put a couple of strips of wood underneath and screw the planks on it.
Using the correct length screws from under what it will be the desk, it will all look neat.
Then of course biscuit joining would make it perfect, dowels not so much.

I would look at something like cascomite cleaning it of the face immediately. Also a plywood patress, drill holes (about:cool: and countersunk either side of a centre line at right angles to each other in which to draw the two sides together once jointed.

As for Glue?

Suggest you look @ titebond?

There may be other suggestions that pop up

Cheers Ken will look into that

You'll be needing a set of sash clamps for this. You can buy just the heads and then bolt them on to some basic sawn timber and they'll come in handy for other jobs too. (They can also be mounted 'back to front' for pushing apart rather than clamping together). They used to sell these in machine mart, but I can't see them right now.

FAISCHEAD-1-500x500.jpg

Nozzle

I've got three 36" clamps which should do the trick

The easiest thing to do is to put a couple of strips of wood underneath and screw the planks on it.
Using the correct length screws from under what it will be the desk, it will all look neat.
Then of course biscuit joining would make it perfect, dowels not so much.

This was my initial line of thought. Glue and then a strip of wood on the undside keeping in together.

Why do you not recommend dowels ? I have very little experience with woodwork so assumed biscuit joining requires an expensive router? I just saw you can buy kits like these https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-biscuit-jointing-kit-47mm-4-pcs/65290 I'm wondering if these are as easy to use as the hand dowel jigs

I should have looked at the photo woops yes as someone already said clamp and glue and you can tap the joint with a block and hammer to get it just right

Cheers Ken will look into that

I've got three 36" clamps which should do the trick

This was my initial line of thought. Glue and then a strip of wood on the undside keeping in together.

Why do you not recommend dowels ? I have very little experience with woodwork so assumed biscuit joining requires an expensive router? I just saw you can buy kits like these https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-biscuit-jointing-kit-47mm-4-pcs/65290 I'm wondering if these are as easy to use as the hand dowel jigs
Dowel joining is never perfect, so better to have a more rustic look and let the planks fall wherever they fall, but it's a matter of preference.
Biscuit joining makes them perfectly aligned, but for one project i wouldn't spend money.
Unless you want to return the tool after using it which i strongly disagree with as it is immoral and maybe illegal...

I should have looked at the photo woops yes as someone already said clamp and glue and you can tap the joint with a block and hammer to get it just right

you mean without the dowels just glue and clamps?

Dowel joining is never perfect, so better to have a more rustic look and let the planks fall wherever they fall, but it's a matter of preference.
Biscuit joining makes them perfectly aligned, but for one project i wouldn't spend money.
Unless you want to return the tool after using it which i strongly disagree with as it is immoral and maybe illegal...

No I agree that is not something I would do. And yes, I don't really to spend too much money on tools I may not use again.

So you think ditch the dowels and just go with the glue and clamps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back