How to Retrofit LED T8 Tube Light?

Dev,
Now looking at Flameports expanded on big screen - did you also cut back the Earth wire. That needs to be reinstated and put into the middle connector block to earth the the lamp metal.
SFK

Sponsored Links
Guy, still alive thankfully and well spotted! Sorry for the delay, I didn't realise that anyone had responded as I didn't receive/spot any notification.

I change the block location as I didn't think that the original fuse would take 240v's and didn't spot the earth connection! eeek!

I've switched things over and reinstated the earth (it was originally chopped) and its still not working? Am I likely to have blown the tubes due to the previous scenario?

Many thanks!

Devs
Glad to hear you are alive.
I do not not believe your wiring will have damaged the tubes - this only issue with the wiring is that it could have easily killed you.

First
Check the fuse in the plug and in the lamp.

Second
You currently have this wiring layout as per TLC LED tubes:
Capture.JPG

Second,
I would be interested to see what the paper instructions say that you have in your photo.
I also downloaded these instructions that suggest that Osram tubes have a slightly different setup than those from TLC.
http://led.omega-light.com/Lum/lum_files/osram/substitube-installation-instructions.pdf
Capture.JPG

One end of the tube has the driver, the other end (I presume) has a loop.
I am now making presumptions, but I presume that they have done it this way so both ends of the baton have a live and Nutral so you can put the tube in either way around. (You do not need the SubstiTUBE Starter as you already have an inline Fuse).

With your current TLC wiring if you put an Osram tube in the wrong way round, because it appears to have joined pins at one end, it will short circuit the wiring and a fuse will blow.

So (after you have checked the fuses) can you determine the 'driver' end of the the tube and can you put this end of the tube at the end of the baton that has the power.

Third, Also one YouTube video shows some of these Osram Tubes having a safety switch, does yours?
3m 47sec into this video:

Then I am out of ideas.

SFK

Last edited:
Thanks SFK, I've checked the fuses and they both are in check. (Not 100% sure on the internal glass fuse but it does appear to be fine).

The tubes are not equipped with a safety switch and I have just taken a snap of the instructions here if you can make them out...?

IMG_6959.JPG

Trust I should be having matching live and neutrals at each on of the fitting?

Sponsored Links
Rocky,
Are you sure? I am also finding the wires hard to follow. But using the blue dots (for N) I (think) I can see that there is a separate pair of Live and Neutral going to each of the two tubes in this Baton. So I see it as being correctly wired in Parrel - but happy to be corrected.

Devs, Sorry but I cannot see any other issues, which is very frustrating.
Your instructions do not provide any extra detail.
I would be putting a multimeter probes onto the end of the wires (where they join a LED Tubes) and testing for 240V.

IMG_7454_cr.jpg

SFK

Where does it say put L and N on one end, it looks to me like a retrofit for a switched start unit therefore i would have thought L and N would be at opposite ends and the other pins linked by the dummy starter

Rocky
The Osram bulb shows a diffrent wring for the TLC.
But I read it as showing the same wiring layout.

The Osram Bulb is shown as follows:
Capture.JPG

Which also shows L and N to each of the pins on one end of tube so it works as follows:
Capture1.jpg

And the benefit is that it also works if driver is at other end of the tube.
Capture4.jpg

So I think Devs wiring should work perfectly as long as he puts the Driver end of the LED tube at the end of the Baton with the wires.

UNLESS of course there is some sort of sneeky detector at the LOOP end.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'm struggling with this gents. I've just tried swapping the tube to the other end but still no luck.

In honesty I'm going to order 5 new double fittings for these tubes but am a little puzzled why I couldn't get them to work.

Why not just buy Led fittings that are safe,, them tubes you have are for retrofitting in a CCG fitting without adapting it at all, they also make a HF version to work in HF fittings again without altering the fitting.
There making these as the other type lamps that need you to adapt the fitting are likely to be banned as a lot of them are unsafe.
Anyone converting the fittings in future will likely not be able to do it legally, the fitting needs to be safe after you adapt it, that is the point of that starter shape bit, you are attempting putting 240 volt across the endcaps, with no protection, if someone was to refit a fluorescent lamp to your fitting it would possibly blow the end of, showering them with glass.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100740445/Best-Practice-Guide-9.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back