How to seal round downpipe going through conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a conservatory tacked on DIY style onto back of the house.

There's a Cast iron down pipe running along back wall through conservatory but it hasn't been sealed properly when built and is now in a terrible state and letting in water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31267686@N03/6481217877/in/set-72157628343830381

A roofer who leaded along the back wall said he couldn't do anything better to seal the pipe.

See pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31267686@N03/6481217877/in/set-72157628343830381

While I appreciate it's never going to be a proper solution, there must be some materials that can be stuck, jubilee clipped and glued around the pipe and across to the back wall to at least resist the rainwater surely?

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest what they would do because currently it's full of holes and useless!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This is a difficult junction, made worse by the fact that there is a connection just above the roof junction.

Not a lot of thought was given to how the pipe would be sealed, more "we want a conny and we will have it there" kinda thing.

In these instances, it is sometimes better to box in the the stack with ply and cradling, forming a kind of separate structure that could be (hot-pour) felted-in, whilst the conny is then joined and weathered to the boxing-in rather than direct to the awkwardness that you see.

Thanks NoSeal.

I was going to box it in, but then a plumber said it would be better to be able to have access to the pipework particularly as we'll be needing to do work on the bathroom.

Long term I may have to go back and redo this once bathroom done, but is there anything anyone could suggest to patch it over (better than it is) in the meantime?

Could try packing behind and around the pipe with 'Denso' tape. It is filthy stuff though, wear rubber gloves and chuck them away when finished!

Sponsored Links
What we tend to do is box it, seal it and then wrap it in lead. Then seal again with lead sealant. Hasn't failed yet! Touch wood!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back