How to upgrade Texecom Premier Elite 640 from v3 for SmartCom and HomeAssistant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this panel on v3, with around 70 zones including 1 wireless expander. I've been using it with a ComIP and usb serial interfaces for Wintex and home automation. I'm changing to Homeassistant for my automation, so need to upgrade to use Smartcom and the new app. I have also bought a programmer interface.

Here's my plan, Is there anything I've missed?

1. Call Texecom to get the firmware, I can't seem to find it downloadable.
2. Backup panel settings using Wintex.
3. Install the new panel firmware using programmer.
3. Disconnect my serial ports and connect Smartcom to those panel ports. Leave ComIP in place.
3. Restore panel settings using Wintex via ComIP. Does Wintex need upgrading?
4. Upgrade Wireless expander firmware?
4. Connect up the networking through SmartCom and check connection through new App
5. Integrate with Home assistant.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
640?

You need to delete all the wireless devices off the system manually first in zone setup.
Going from 3 to 4 to 5 or 3 to 5, you are asking for issues if you don't.

Then in a new profile in wintex save the new settings (ie minus the wireless devices)
Upgrade wintex.

4 to 5 is usually okay but its easier and update the wireless batteries at the same time when you relearn back on.

disconnect all serial ports and ideally program them to not used before flashing.

then reload wintex into the system.

you will need an installer account on the Texecom cloud to add to the cloud, please note anyone can currently register for this. seen a lot of end users recently mess things up by not doing things a certain way and fortunately it has been recoverable.

Ah, thank you SecureIAM,

To delete the zones, should I do that via the Keypad Richchet menu or just set to not used in Wintex?
Do I need to upgrade to 4 then 5? or go straight to 5?

I therefore need to ask Texecom for
1. Panel Firmware v4 and v5
2. Wintex upgrade
3. What about wireless expander firmware?

I'll register for the installer account. I've tried a in the past a few years ago, but never got anywhere.

Yes a 640, because I wanted more than the 2 networks of the 168. I have 12 (I think) keypads across the shed/garage entrance doors etc.

You are asking questions which suggests to me you shouldn't try it.

The 640 has 8 networks not 12 with 64 areas, the 168 had 16 areas and 2 networks and don't follow what you mean.

The issue with the wireless is to they are allocated differently in different firmwares.

I would delete the devices in zone setup, that isn't the same as putting the zone to not used.

You can go directly to 5, the point is if you don't delete the devices then it maybe that not all the wireless devices will work properly.

You may drop lucky, but why leave things to chance?

Sponsored Links
I wasn't clear, apologies. I'm using 5 networks out of the 8, and have been for a few years. I have 12 keypads and various expanders spread across those networks. I use 10 areas.
I normally delete the wireless devices through the "Learn Ricochet" menu not on the Zone Setup menu - was just checking that was the correct method in preparation for upgrading the firmware?

Personally I would print out the existing config from wintex and write a new config for version 5 ….I’ve found this way to be 100% reliable over the years and stops any weird issues …

Thanks both.

When I plug in the flasher board which is set to "prog" should the panel boot and run, or should the network lights stop?

I've deleted the wireless devices, disconnected and deleted the com settings in the panels, backed up in Wintex, printed out the config, created an installer account and downloaded the v5 PremierEliteFlasher software.
I'm getting an "Establishing comms failed: board failed to respond correctly." error. However, I'm using a PC-Com with a usb to serial adapter (I've tried 2 different ones a Digi and a Prolific.), and the flasher board is not a texecom original. I've tried the flasher board in both orientations. I've been using the USB to serial interface and PC Com for several years continuously to connect to this panel.
In what I expected to be the correct orientation, the panel does not run when powered up with the flasher in Prog Mode, the network lights are red. If I switch to run mode then the panel boots up and the internal sounders sound.
In the other orientation, the panel runs regardless of the switch position, and with one of the PC-Coms it gets a bit further and says something like reading header. Then it fails on "Getting Chip Status"

Do you think it is more likely to be the flasher board, or the PC Com at fault?

Should I have loaded defaults before flashing?

Cheers.

The flasher port has an arrow, along red cable with arrow.

In programming mode the lights out and won't come back until flash complete returned to run mode and press reset the flasher should guide you through with prompts.

Like I say not sure you should be attempting this. As not doing it properly can damage the board specifically incorrect flasher alignment.

Not uncommon to see it done wrong and panel may still be recoverable depending on what is/ was done wrong but not always.

Thanks for the warnings and the replies - I proceed at my own risk! :) The flasher I'm using plugs straight in - no cable. If I plug the flasher in, set to prog mode and power on the panel the red network lights are solid. Is that the expected behaviour?

The flasher is plugged into a PC-Com, which is plugged into a Digi Edgeport 4 port usb to serial

I load the flasher software, select the com port and click "Flash", press ok twice, then press Reset" on the flasher. I get "Establishing comms failed: board failed to respond correctly."

Am I doing anything obviously wrong? If not then my options appear to be to get a proper USB-Com and/or a proper flasher board.

21-12-04 23-05-51 0639.jpg

21-12-04 23-07-14 0641.jpg

I can’t comment equipment I don’t use.
When you switch to prog and press reset what happens on the board.

would expect the board to have lights out for example.
Failure to flash usually occurs if it’s not correctly connected to flash port and com ports have things connected to and or programmed up

good catch - it is actually unplugged at the other end of the cable which attaches to the com-ip! I'll do a little video in the morning of what happens when I power up the panel and switch the flasher to prog. I'll unplug the PC Com from the flasher so will be just the flasher board. If that video looks wrong to you then that suggests the flasher board is duff.

Panel doesn't like items plugged into com port when flashing via the flash port.

Also program off the comports

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back