HOW TO WIRE AN EXTERNAL SINGLE SOCKET WITH SWITCH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL THIS IS SIMPLE TO MOST. JUST NEED SOME ADVICE. AT THE BACK OF THE SOCKET HOUSING ARE THE TERMINALS L AND N WITH EARTH CONNECTING TO THE PLUG SOCKET. THEN THE SWITCH BESIDE IT HAS LIVE FEED ON TOP. THEN 1 NEXT TO IT. AND 2 WITH SWITCH ICON BELOW. I NEED TO KNOW WHERE NEUTRAL GOES FROM THE MAINS. AND WHETHER LIVE CROSSES OVER NEUTRAL? I JUST HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SWITCH THE PLUG ON AND OFF WHILE KEEPING THE CIRCUIT COMPLETE. I'D LIKE TO DO THIS MYSELF RATHER THAN GET A SPARKY IN THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What exactly are you trying to acheive?
From the description it sounds as if you have a socket outlet and a light switch - two items which cannot be connected together.

you can get switched sockets you know !

wandsworth do them....unswitched skeleton socket fed by 20a switch next to it all on a double plate, also do a keyed version as well although unlikely in a domestic

Sponsored Links
HI ALL THIS IS SIMPLE TO MOST. JUST NEED SOME ADVICE. AT THE BACK OF THE SOCKET HOUSING ARE THE TERMINALS L AND N WITH EARTH CONNECTING TO THE PLUG SOCKET. THEN THE SWITCH BESIDE IT HAS LIVE FEED ON TOP. THEN 1 NEXT TO IT. AND 2 WITH SWITCH ICON BELOW. I NEED TO KNOW WHERE NEUTRAL GOES FROM THE MAINS. AND WHETHER LIVE CROSSES OVER NEUTRAL? I JUST HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SWITCH THE PLUG ON AND OFF WHILE KEEPING THE CIRCUIT COMPLETE. I'D LIKE TO DO THIS MYSELF RATHER THAN GET A SPARKY IN THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

:rolleyes:

Is your caps lock stuck ? no need to SHOUT

Hello Lucselig.

Is this an 'outdoor' project ? Maybe before you connect this up you should make sure you have the correct protection in place rcd's etc ????
Just a thought.

Ed

Did it have a wiring diagram with it, it might be only a single pole switch and only switches the live and the neutral unswitched goes direct to the socket.

hi enclosed is a pic of socket wiring diagram bear with me i am having trouble posting pics on this forum not clear. I will post directly to your email if poss.

it will be under cover. and connected to the house RCD box

I have upload a pic of the wiring diagram for the above pics of unit. but don't know how to bring it on to the listing?

L.

Live feed is the live in on the switch,
Switched live links to L on the socket

Neutrals go direct to socket N
Earths go direct to socket E

to confirm on the back of the switch is the live feed terminal. and two terminals 1 and 2, (terminal 2 has the switch icon next to it) each with two holes.

From what I can see of the switch when it's OFF position, live feed terminal is physically connected to switch terminal 2, (I checked by dismantling). and when in ON position, is connected to switch terminal 1, which is in turn connected to (L) on the socket, hence giving power. does this sound right.

I understand the live feed from mains. and I understand to connect the neutral direct to N.

Also I take it, terminal 2 with switch icon, is isolated and not connected to anything?

Thanks for everything,

Luc. :p :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back