HR Butyl Flex

Sponsored Links
I keep a drum in the garage, always seems nice and flexible when I run some off in cold weather

Similarly. So, although normally used in higher temperature environments, I reckon it'd be OK in the cold, too.

Would you go with that?

Sponsored Links
I think so, too.

I put a length in the freezer (-21) for 36 hours and it seemed fine!

Flexibility OK & IR test fine.

Evening all,

I can confirm butyl flex is fine in the cold down to about -15 without any problems. :D
I had to use some to as part of a repair at a water pumping station a couple of years ago when the outside temp was -14 to - 5 for a few weeks (yep, scotlands a cold place at times!) and after a few phone calls to various cable suppliers first, they confirmed its rated to -15 without any adverse affects.
The butyl is still going strong, unlike the cheap armoured cable a contractor fitted at the same time!. :mad:

Bolty.

What are you planning Simon?

Silicone cable is good to about -50°C and up well past +200°C. The only trouble is it's not as mechanically tough as butyl.

Overengineering, I fear!

But I had some 1.5 butyl and thought I'd use it (installed in a combination of wall-mounted high impact PVC conduit & clipped direct) to feed a Masterseal socket out on the drive. Thought it might be better suited than PVC to withstand the temperature fluctuations.

...I had some 1.5 butyl and thought I'd use it (installed in a combination of wall-mounted high impact PVC conduit & clipped direct) to feed a Masterseal socket out on the drive. Thought it might be better suited than PVC to withstand the temperature fluctuations.
If it is going to be 'fixed' wiring, why are you concerned about its flexibility at low temperatures?

Kind Regards, John

Sure, it's fixed wiring, but if I've got something that could be better-suited to the low temps., I'd rather use that.

Sure, it's fixed wiring, but if I've got something that could be better-suited to the low temps., I'd rather use that.
That obviously makes sense - but I still don't really understand why you are specifically interested in (i.e.asked about) the flexibility of butyl HR at low temp, when the application you're talking about presumably will afford the cable no opportunity to flex! I guess I'm missing something!

Kind Regards, John

The more flexible the cable the slower it will degrade at low temperatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back