I dont understand.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im very sorry but i need some good old plain english explaination for what i need to do for my extension.

Ok so i live in leeds and under the permitted development i understand that i can build a full width lower extension but no deeper than 3 meters outwards from the house then the upstairs level can be again no more than 3 meters outwards and must be 2 meters away from the boundary so the upstairs will be stepped inwards from the boundary of the semi thats attached.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/miniguide

So thats planning side out of the way but what else do i have to do?? party wall act?? will i need this if i intend to build the extension on the boundry with the next door as my house is a semi or is the trick to build half a brick away from the boundary then i dont have to serve a party wall, also next door is still a council house does that make a difference? building control just covers how the building is built so would my builder cover this issue??

I really have no idea what to do and trying to read all the info just confuses me.

Sponsored Links
You will be undertaking excavation work on or near the boundary.
So to be on the safe side talk to your neighbour, this is always a good move, about your intentions regarding the build.
But it would very much sound like you will need to serve a party wall notice.
party wall act explained

Your builders should notify building controls via an application, they should inspect all work under the apllication at varrious stages during the build.

Thanks for the reply.

I just didnt want to expect the builder to do all the paperwork so wanted to know what i had to get in order. Im sure the builder would of served party wall notices before.

But i read that its not a form to fill in but just a letter to the neighbour you will be effecting to show what you are planning to do, then they have 14 days to object if they dont then it taken that its ok to do, who do i serve the notice to leeds city council or the tenants??

So
1) get planning or permitted development agreed on plans i get drawn up.
2) party wall agreement (sounds like i would need one)
3) building control to check as certain points of the build
4) build according to the plans

As simple as that?

Notice can be served in person or by post.
If the adjoining building’s owner’s name is not know the notice can be served on “The Owner” although in this situation it has to be either delivered personally or displayed on a conspicuous part of the premises.

This tool may help you to draw up your letter of notice.
letter of notice
Once you have agreed to employ a builder, they must notify building controls prior to starting work.
If you are unsure they have, you can check that they have done this, by contacting them, they will be happy to inform you either way.
But if you really wanted, you could make the application and pay the fee. Then have that taken in to account regarding your estimate.
But it is best to have the builder do it, as they should have a timetable of when certain stages of work will be
complete for inspection.

obtaining approval

Sponsored Links
Thanks again so much,

Ive also found some sample letters to serve and to get them to sign but who i do serve them to the tenants or leeds city council.

Next door seems pretty nice there will only be 1 storey high and ground level then the 1st floor it will be 2 meters away from the boundary as i dont think i would get plans passed for full width on 2 storeys unless people have had them passed like that????

Thanks again so much,

Ive also found some sample letters to serve and to get them to sign but who i do serve them to the tenants or leeds city council.
If there are tenants next door, you will need to advise both them and their landlord of the proposed works. Do not forget to give written notice to owners and occupiers of properties.
i dont think i would get plans passed for full width on 2 storeys unless people have had them passed like that????
It really depends on the councils take on it, they all differ. If they have allowed it in the immediate area, that is a good guide to what they will allow, look what your neighbours have been granted, if in doubt don't be scared to ask them.

Thanks again so much,

If there are tenants next door, you will need to advise both them and their landlord of the proposed works. Do not forget to give written notice to owners and occupiers of properties.
i dont think i would get plans passed for full width on 2 storeys unless people have had them passed like that????
It really depends on the councils take on it, they all differ. If they have allowed it in the immediate area, that is a good guide to what they will allow, look what your neighbours have been granted, if in doubt don't be scared to ask them.

Yeah they moved in a few months ago and seem fine so i will be keeping them sweet through all the building work but leeds city council have an open agreement in terms of time of lease (ie not limited to 12 months etc) i will email the council and see what they have to say about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back