I hate battery powered drills!

B

Big Tone

I don’t know if this has already been covered, but I’m so angry right now I could happily advertise on ebay for someone to take my BOSCH PSB 24 VE-2 and pay them to take this useless piece of crap off my hands!

In the beginning....

This thing smokes! (As in I love it). It’s no Makita but if Makita is the King this must surely be the next in succession.

As a slow drill, fast drill, hammer drill, quick grab chuck and blah blah blah.... I was as happy as gay man swimming in an ocean of sausages to start with.

But then it happened. When I come to use it when I most need it, it's flatter than a geriatric’s tit!

Back in the late 80s I got my first one; a 7.2 volt BOSCH ‘drill’ which, okay, I didn’t take seriously as a drill. It was more of a power screwdriver and I didn’t have a problem with that. But it cracked-up after one year and the battery was more to buy, two years later, than a new and better ‘uckin’ drill!

So in the past 20+ years, bringing it forward to circa 2009 when I brought this gimmick, absolutely nothing has changed! They still clap-out after about one year and to buy a replacement battery is more than I paid for the damn drill!

Here I go again today: I pick something up I have paid a lot of money for and it has only enough energy, (despite my attention, care, and charging regime), to turn the focus lens of an ants telescope – it really F@@K’s me off!!!

I put it to you that what we got here is an expensive, useless, ephemeral, agitating gadget which only a stupid man would buy!

Battery powered drills are: -

A) Expensive in the long term
B) Expensive to maintain/service/replace
C) Don’t work after 366 days, just after the guarantee expired.
D) Hyped to make gullible men buy possibly the most over-rated tool you have in your DIY armoury
E) For the sake of 60 seconds there is a better, mains, alternative.

Tell me I’m wrong?

Sponsored Links
You're wrong.

My cordless has more torque than most corded drills, is smaller, easier to carry, and costs me nothing except some trickle charging to run.

It also has a three year warranty.

If you wish to discard your Bosch I will happily take it off your hands (well, off the Royal Mail's hands anyway). It's a bit underpowered, being DIY kit, but it'll make a nice spare..

You're wrong.

My cordless has more torque than most corded drills, is smaller, easier to carry, and costs me nothing except some trickle charging to run.

It also has a three year warranty.

If you wish to discard your Bosch I will happily take it off your hands (well, off the Royal Mail's hands anyway). It's a bit underpowered, being DIY kit, but it'll make a nice spare..
Well it's not easy being told "you're wrong" when I know I'm right about my personal experiences of them, but okay.

I was born in St Austell, incidentally, and very proud of it!

The next time I'm down that way I'll gladly drop it in and give you a complimentary ale of your choice. :)

You know what's more reliable, cheaper, and more powerful than a battery powered drill?

A MAINS POWERED DRILL! :evil:

BTW. What corded drill do you have??? :rolleyes:

Got a mains powered drill which can pump out 63nm in the middle of a field, have we? ;)

I have mains drills too, an SDS and a backup percussion (good when doing larger fixings, rapid drilling with the mains and then some actual torque out of my cordless), but I wouldn't get rid of a good cordless if you paid me to.

Just leave the Bosch at Totem next time you're down, I can pick it up from there. :)

Sponsored Links
Just leave the Bosch at Totem next time you're down, I can pick it up from there. :)
OK! You got it :D

But my prediction is that this is not over. I trust other people here will back me up on this one. (Oh dear).

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Luv Tone :)

BTW. Did you mean "Totem" or was an 'n' missing? ;)

Okay..

Although the mains used be regarded as ~240 volts, these days it’s closer to 220 volts which means the "3KW" fan heater you have printed on the bottom is, in fact, a false statement.

Here’s the math: 220 x 13 = 2860

No matter...

Would someone like to tell me how you can currently, (no pun intended), get that sort of power from 24V in the real world? Least of all reliably...

Is someone going to mention 110V? :rolleyes: Off topic. ;)

Please won't someone agree with me? :(

BTW. Did you mean "Totem" or was an 'n' missing? ;)

I meant Totem. Totem Timber.

Okay..

Although the mains used be regarded as ~240 volts, these days it’s closer to 220 volts which means the "3KW" fan heater you have printed on the bottom is, in fact, a false statement.

Here’s the math: 220 x 13 = 2860

Actually, it's 230V+10%-6%, which in practice means all existing supplies continue to operate at 240V, and new supplies operate at 230V. Said 3kW heater is 3kW at the rated voltage. Your math, however, is incorrect.

If we assume 3kW at 230V, that gives a fixed resistance of 17.7ohms. At 220V, this would be 2.73kW. At 240V, it will be 3.25kW. If it were rated 3kW at 240V, it would be only 2.52kW at 220V.

Would someone like to tell me how you can currently, (no pun intended), get that sort of power from 24V in the real world? Least of all reliably...

It's not about volts, it's about amps. Plus, DC motors have better starting torque and torque control.

No Tone - you've got it all wrong. Battery drills are the dogs dumplings.

It's not about volts, it's about amps. Plus, DC motors have better starting torque and torque control.
Tut tut.

“it’s about amps”

P=I x V

It’s about both my friend, as I know you must know. :rolleyes:

And if I can make that most obvious of statements, as late and as ****ed as I am...?????

All I can say is I hope BOSCH never make condoms or an aeroplane...

;)

Goodnight :)

Tut tut.

“it’s about amps”

P=I x V

It’s about both my friend, as I know you must know. :rolleyes:

And if I can make that most obvious of statements, as late and as p****d as I am...?????

In this case it's actually:
de6ae14fc98d626b7ecc9f8cef9ff0b3.png

I suspect you should get some rest seeing as you can't even get your head around fixed resistive loads tonight. ;)

If you want 3kW at 24V btw, the easy way is with two marine batteries and some 35mm² copper (to handle 125A).

If you want 3kW at 24V btw, the easy way is with two marine batteries and some 35mm² copper (to handle 125A).
I look forward to seeing the next generation of 24 Volt BOSCH battery drills fulfilling that directive Monkeh.

QED or maybe 'de gustibus non est disputandum'...

More ;)

I look forward to seeing the next generation of 24 Volt BOSCH drills fulfilling that directive Monkeh.

QED

More ;)

Ah, but unlike an inefficient single-pole AC motor, a DC one does not require anything like that power to achieve torque, and can use gearing to reach high speeds. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back