I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

rob884 said:
doitall said:
It has to be about the worse job ever.

not bad for £500! dont pay the rest :D

Thats all very well but it's going to cost a few thousand quid to make good and re-decorate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info so far guys.

A few points I'll go further on.

1. I was under the impression the flue pipes were of a much smaller diameter.

2. I did push hard for exemption/back boiler but none of the firms I spoke to wanted to or would do it. I got quite heated (ha) with the BG tech chap who turned up to check the spec before they installed it. Bu the was adamant that I had to have a combi. I'm not a heating engineer...who am I to argue??

3. As far as I am aware they haven't checked for anything more than water leaks with the flue.

4. The chaps that fitted it all were BG guys and not sub-contractors.

5. When they fitted it all (even though we asked) they didnt bother putting down dust sheets when we were not looking. Didnt bother closing doors when drilling great holes in the walls so we had what looked like 10 years of dust throughout the whole flat. Took a day and a half to wipe, wash and dust everything throughout the flat. We've got to look forward to it all again if they bother to fix it.

6. The toilet and cold taps on the bath now 'clunk' every time we use them. We tried to get the BG guy to fix it when he came round the second time but he couldnt do it.

7. The Triton shower they fitted, whilst it works it whistles! The shower was a deal breaker. Before the combi my hot water pressure was virtually non-existant so I couldnt have a shower. After ten years of living in the flat I was used to this and if I could have had the back boiler then I'd have still gone without a shower. However, when I was told it had to be combi, I opted for a shower.

8. I'm rather hacked off by it. I tried their complaints line but they don't actually take them. They don't really want to help it seems. I cant wait for them to send the bill!

I will post some more pics...there are more horrors.

Oh yes and a corgi mate of mine said I could have had a Keston too!

Whilst there is no doubt that that is an absolute dogs dinner i can't quite work out why you couldn't put it on the wall where the flue exits the wall to outside.

You could have got a joiner in to build a nice cupboard around it.

:confused:

scatmanjohn said:
Whilst there is no doubt that that is an absolute dogs dinner i can't quite work out why you couldn't put it on the wall where the flue exits the wall to outside.

You could have got a joiner in to build a nice cupboard around it.

:confused:

Appreciate your point. However, when you live in a flat as small as mine, you fight for every cubic foot of space. When we had an empty airing cupboard due to no longer having the hot water tank in there it seemed pointless to to put it anywhere else and have a big white wooden box mounted on the wall, humming away in the bedroom. As I mentioned earlier I was led to believe the pipes would run across the top of the wall and be far far smaller so only a discreet run of boxing along the length of the bedroom would be needed.

Hindsight and all that...........

Sponsored Links
This is a link to the assessment procedure document for exemption from the requirement for condensing boilers (what a mouthful - there must be a simpler way of saying that!).

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_CONDBOILER.pdf

Basically you need 1000 points to be exempt. You get 710 for living in a flat and 350 if you have a back-boiler and the alternative is a condensing boiler in another room. Your total = 1060 - bingo, you don't need to go condensing!

More pics -

Thats a hole up there -

Already had small birds likeing this -

This is one of the leaks -

There is a hole in the floor under that -

Maybe if we dont draw attention to it no-one will notice -

someone has to be up for the boot for that abortion...has it been passed off yet as satisfactory yet?. Just withhold the money, you don't have to pay for it until your happy with it.

The flue and air duct terminations can't be right. For a start where are the terminal fittings? And they look too close together, don't they?

Can we see the condensate pipe (white plastic) and PRV discharge (15mm copper to outside) routes and terminations?

Oh dear it gets better, what happened to the PRV pipe from the boiler, is that it running along the skirting.

And what happened to them radiator pipes. :LOL:

And more to the point where's the flue terminals :eek: [/b]

Beat me to it Chris, I think the PRV pipe is the one on the skirting, just above the rad pic.

I'm sorry they would be taking the lot out, completely unacceptable.

This is the flueing guidance from GW.

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/manuals/pdf/xi_flueing_REV1205.pdf

The flue and air duct terminals must be minimum 120mm apart (from pipe centres) with the flue duct above the air duct. It looks like you've got the flue duct terminating below the air duct.

The total run of flue and air duct must be maximum 40 metres including allowance of 1 metre for each 90° bend (and 0.5metres each 45° bend). Can you check this?

On the basis of what I've seen, I concur with others in suggesting getting legal advice with a view to suing the perpetrators of this wholly incompetent installation.

I noticed the flue outlet had to be above the air inlet Chris, but I think that only applies to Vertical flues, otherwise its the wrong way round.

to be fair it does look about 120mm apart thats about 6''.

as far as flue terminals are concerned, the upper pipe looks like it has a grill/mesh on the end similar to the kestons so this area may be correct but thats no excuse for the rest of it!

Crikey...this is getting scary...and at the same time strangely exciting (when you know you have a good fight on your hands).

Anyway for some further points.

Indeed the air in flue is above the out flue. Nice to know.

That pipe above the skirting is the gas inlet from the mains outside. It goes into the wardrobe behind the airingcupboard.

We would like to get round to re-decorating the flat sometime. :rolleyes:

It does also state in the proceedure for the points system that any internal flue run of more than 4m should not be considered except through the roof. and u were also given bad advice about the shower because Stuart Turner & Aqualisa both make negative head pumps that can be swtiched on in the shower area with a numatic button, EVEN more to the point 5k plus for the boiler job or did they fit new rads ,hot tub, sauna & Free gas for a year?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back