I really dont think this is quite what I expected....

daglesj i would like to repeat your boiler appears to have one or more flueing faults and should not be used until it is carefully checked, it is unlikely to be serious but it could be. even small amounts of co are dangerous.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
lcgs said:
Surely it has got to be the time not to just seek legal advice but ring Rogue traders. BG should get a full hours TV for over charging and carrying out the worst install to appear on here in a long time.

To be fair this job is appalling but the majority aren't so not really rogue traders. I am also thinking that the job has yet to be passed off by an installation manager as complete and satisfactory, unpaid for and in a complaint procedure therefore unfinished so not yet due for legal advice either.

I wouldn't say it was overpriced either, christ with all those flue extensions I'd be surprised if they broke even.

To be honest, in general I don't think Bg are on top of the price league any more, maybe in the top third. I went to a response today with a leaking hx and she had had 3 quotes from independants ranging from 2k to 3.4k boiler only, bg quoted it for 1.8k.

I tend to agree. Its not really the guys that installed it that I'm annoyed with (ok I'd still like to give them a hard stare at least) . Its the guys that specced it up, the 'help lines' that dont help or go anywhere, the apathetic call centre staff, the lack of common sense, appointment keeping, customer managers that promise to sort it out then dissapear and lack of ability to create a suitable solution to sort it out.

I'd be annoyed if some one distroyed my house in that fashion, whacking massive holes through walls, and leaving that mess behind. Some things cant be helped but you at least try to make them as neat as possible. I'd have the right hump with everyone involved on that job, Install, specifier and complaints or lack of all 3.

Where are you mate?, you need to really pester the installation manager who should come round and sign the installation off and if you get nowhere tell them you want someone from business integrety to come and have a look at it.

Sponsored Links
daglesj said:
.. How can I challenge folks that can pull out a seemingly endless ream of building regs that seem to go totally against common sense, what I want and all seem to have been implemented since labour have been in power.

Very interesting point! Governments (especially this one) may make rules and regulations with the best of intentions but they have lost touch (if they ever had it in the first place) with the reality of what happens down at our level. How many of us supposed experts on this forum really understand all the rules and regulations, let alone Joe Public?

Condensing boiler exemption assessments are a good example. It appears that the BG specifier didn't understand them, and I doubt whether many others do either, outside of Government Departments, so the poor consumers, most of whom have a lot less savvy than daglesj, get clobbered.

rob884 said:
doitall said:
It has to be about the worse job ever.

not bad for £500! dont pay the rest :D
i bet the flue cost that lol

I think by the looks of it you would of qualified for a replacement BBU

absolutle shocking :eek:

And from high and mighty BG aswell, im sure the fitters are on price work which basically is IN and OUT asap in some cases. What a mess, for that kind of money everything should be boxed and finished FFS.

I know what its like with big money as i work for gasforce (industrial and commercial of the gas world) and what we charge is mental. I always think what the customers thinks and try to help them in any way possible.

So many new recruits to BG of late and it seems they are slack.

Dont pay, say u dont want them back and pay for someone else to put it right and save money all together.

Yes keston boilers are smaller flues but the amount of problems ive had with keston i shudder ever time i hear the name :LOL: :LOL:

GOOD LUCK pal and keep us updated ;)

[quote="Agile]You really mean that Ollski is a "gal" ?[/quote]

I am fully prepared to reveal that ........ no I'm not.

ollski said:
Where are you mate?, you need to really pester the installation manager who should come round and sign the installation off and if you get nowhere tell them you want someone from business integrety to come and have a look at it.

Ahhh so once the fitters have gone (one of them was in a hurry to get off on holiday to Thailand I now remember) I should have someone come round to check and get me/him to sign it off as ok?

Its been over a week now since it was fitted.

I'm in Norwich by the way.

I really do appreciate the help and support guys. I feel I have more up my sleeve now. Learning fast. ;)

off on holiday..course the jobs been beasted in!
sorry :oops:

But the plot thickens eh ;)

if i was you i would claim a miss selling and dangerous install and request it removed and put back to original.obviously they would have scrapped your old boiler , so will have to put a new back boiler in. total cost then will equal inconvenience only.

daglesj said:
I should have someone come round to check and get me/him to sign it off as ok?

Isn't he/she going to get a suprise :LOL: :LOL:

The point to note is we think you should turn it off, as flue gases can and probably are escaping into the rooms when the boilers running.

At the very least pop into Tesco and buy a Detector for carbon monoxide.

£30 ish could be your best ever buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back