I went to Spain this week and despite what the anti-Brexit scaremongers on here said……

I've just been to France.
Had great time. Hope you did too.

But it is definitely harder and slower to enter and return than it was before

Well if it was faster before then it must have been fast.

Quick as you want for us going to Caen.

Sponsored Links
Yes but I'd expect that going into a foreign land.
Adds around 30 minutes or so to the process.

Before Brexit passport check was very quick, and vehicle checks were only on a few.

This time, every vehicle in ouistreham had a combination of customs people and dogs checking. A few were pulled aside for a thorough check ( as happened before).

Doesn't matter which way you dress it up, it is now harder and slower to travel than before. 30 minutes or so is no great hardship. Just don't try and tell me there's no difference

Sponsored Links
Adds around 30 minutes or so to the process.

Before Brexit passport check was very quick, and vehicle checks were only on a few.

This time, every vehicle in ouistreham had a combination of customs people and dogs checking. A few were pulled aside for a thorough check ( as happened before).

Doesn't matter which way you dress it up, it is now harder and slower to travel than before. 30 minutes or so is no great hardship. Just don't try and tell me there's no difference

I see non of that. I was told of a fella being stopped because he had a van and questions about his tools. But I think he was a resident of France

I see non of that. I was told of a fella being stopped because he had a van and questions about his tools. But I think he was a resident of France
How many times you taken a ferry to Europe?

And this is before we implement our full border control checks of course.

Well if it was faster before then it must have been fast.

Quick as you want for us going to Caen.
When we went to Spain last week, our passports were stamped on the way in and on the way out. It must have added, oooh, 2.5 seconds each way so 5 seconds extra there and back. Couples and families that were travelling together had to give all their passports over at the same time, they were inspected and stamped in one go saving valuable extra seconds. We got held up for a few minutes on the way back because a Spanish bloke wasn’t allowed on our plane - something to do with his passport at the boarding gate - don’t know exactly why but there were raised voices, his passport was given back to him and he stormed off.

In fairness I can't remember too much about the first too but I'm sure it was no less difficult
My best estimate is about 30 minutes extra in each direction.

As I said before, it's no great hardship (yet, but is likely to get worse), but it's not as straightforward as it was.

I consider myself an experienced traveller, probably around 40 return trips (to and from various ports), and have seen good and bad processes in action. I've had 2 very thorough checks before (I'm not counting them as they are likely to be about the same ), but general trips are what I'm comparing.

I do not accept it is as quick and easy now as it was before.

As I said before, it's no great hardship (yet, but is likely to get worse), but it's not as straightforward as it was.

I consider myself an experienced traveller, probably around 40 return trips (to and from various ports), and have seen good and bad processes in action. I've had 2 very thorough checks before (I'm not counting them as they are likely to be about the same ), but general trips are what I'm comparing.

You would know more than me.

How does all this sit with your save the planet mutterings?

Forgot sailing over to watch Chelsea play Club Bruge.

Pig getting back I remember not so bad getting there.

When we went to France a month or so ago, we had the same 2.5 second hold up while they stamped our passports in and out and the only check they did on our car and the one in front was to swipe the door handles with a drug swipe cloth, check it and let us go but I imagine they did that before Brexit too. In fact now I think of it I know they did because when we went on motorcycles, we had the inside of our top boxes swiped too on two of the six occasions.

Sponsored Links
Back