Well, last week I went to Europe.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....... nearly a year after Brexit on a motorcycling trip and I enjoyed free mobile roaming, I didn't need a green card or an international driving permit, I had a quick transit through airports - even Heathrow T5 on the way back, I got a decent exchange rate and should I have had an accident or been taken ill and didn't have private travel insurance, my GHIC card would have got me medical treatment in a hospital.

Weren't these all things on the list of project fear that were going to be lost to Brits after Brexit?

Sponsored Links
....... nearly a year after Brexit on a motorcycling trip and I enjoyed free mobile roaming, I didn't need a green card or an international driving permit, I had a quick transit through airports - even Heathrow T5 on the way back, I got a decent exchange rate and should I have had an accident or been taken ill and didn't have private travel insurance, my GHIC card would have got me medical treatment in a hospital.

Weren't these all things on the list of project fear that were going to be lost to Brits after Brexit?
You were lucky not to need medical care. You would have received it, but you would have been liable for the costs.

Spanish citizens who are not working, are liable for their own medical costs, or they take out medical insurance cover.
Employees, self-employed, etc pay for their state or private medical insurance cover.
Spouses and children of employed and are also covered by the state insurance scheme.

So your GHIC card is pretty much useless in Spain. You would be responsible for your own medical costs.
Additionally, the GHIC card does not cover mountain rescue, medical repatriation, etc.

If you are wise you'll take out some medical insurance cover the next time.

https://www.expatica.com/es/healthcare/healthcare-basics/health-insurance-spain-439814/

I'm coming home later today. While I am here (Tenerife) I have medical cover from Adeslas. I hope not to need it but, you never know.

Weren't these all things on the list of project fear that were going to be lost to Brits after Brexit

No.

Try taking a holiday with your dogs to Europe….it’s dead easy, you just need a pet passport.

oh wait a minute…..

or maybe you wanted to go and live, work, retire in any of 27 countries….or move around between any of them.

Sponsored Links
Try taking a holiday with your dogs to Europe….it’s dead easy, you just need a pet passport.

oh wait a minute…..

or maybe you wanted to go and live, work, retire in any of 27 countries….or move around between any of them.

I've never had and wish to holiday abroad with my dog or live work and retire in any of 27 Europeans countries and I don't know of any people that do so hardly relevant. From what I remember, the pet passport scheme wasn't hardly just a matter of putting the dog on the back seat and driving there and back. I just may feel like a holiday in some of those countries occasionally. I'm sure I was told by some of the remainers on here that I'd be stuck in long 'foreign' queues at airports, have to get a green card and an international driving permit, pay through the nose for using my mobile and be totally ****ed if I needed health care as we were losing the EHIC. Quite obviously false. :whistle:

Last edited:
I'm sure I was told by some of the remainers on here that I'd be stuck in long 'foreign' queues at airports,
Have you not noticed that travel is severely restricted at the moment? Therefore the airports would be unusually quiet. Didn't you express concern about your trip being possible?

have to get a green card
Did you take your own vehicle, or did you hire transport when you were there? Think about the Green card, what's it for and who issues it. :rolleyes:

and an international driving permit,
It was definitely being discussed between EU and UK as a possibility.
It is still needed in some EU countries and under certain circumstances.
You did not meet any of the criteria for needing an IDP, it doesn't mean the warnings were false.

pay through the nose for using my mobile
Most providers give about a month use in Europe on the same terms as use in UK, After that you do pay through the nose.

and be totally ****ed
Many are, and certainly the UK is.
Are you aware of the NI protocol? Are you aware of the annoying charges for small items between UK and EU?

if I needed health care as we were losing the EHIC.
You were lucky to not need medical treatment, mountain rescue or medical repatriation.

I've never had and wish to holiday abroad with my dog or live work and retire in any of 27 Europeans countries and I don't know of any people that do so hardly relevant.
Which simply confirms you as a selfish ignorant bar steward who is quite happy to deny those choices to others...

And from that statement it appears you are surrounded by other selfish ignorant bar stewards!

Which simply confirms you as a selfish ignorant bar steward who is quite happy to deny those choices to others...

And from that statement it appears you are surrounded by other selfish ignorant bar stewards!
Now I remember. It was YOU that prophesied most of those lies. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Bested you. Again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

d most of those lies.
The vast majority of issues discussed during Brexit was about Immigration and the economy.
None of your issues addressed any of that.
Immigration was the most prominent referendum issue, based on the number of times it led newspaper print front pages (there were 99 front pages about immigration, 82 about the economy).
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-instit...verage-of-the-2016-eu-referendum-campaign.pdf

I think one of the most important issues to travellers to Europe (due to Brexit) is the limitation of stay (90 days without a visa?) and it is causing issues.

The issues to holiday travellers will be large queues and Brits being treated like Lepers.

Interesting that mottie selected the least busiest tourist time of the year to cheer on Brexit and how great it is to travel - in November. :rolleyes:

Brexit is still an utter pile of poo.

I've never had and wish to holiday abroad with my dog or live work and retire in any of 27 Europeans countries and I don't know of any people that do so hardly relevant.

it is highly relevant because those losses of freedom were the things discussed by remainers

You probably dont know that many young people -the ones who would like the freedom eto work and love abroad

there are many many thousands of musicians and entertainers that have had their careers ruined by brexit

you are trying to move the goalposts by arguing remainers were claiming brexit would make holidays more difficult.

From what I remember, the pet passport scheme wasn't hardly just a matter of putting the dog on the back seat and driving there and back.

pet passport scheme was far simpler and cheaper than now

you are trying to move the goalposts by arguing remainers were claiming brexit would make holidays more difficult.
I'm moving no goalposts. I'm merely stating that on my recent trip to a European country, I observed none of the above mentioned situations that ellal and others on here said would happen. Fact. If that upsets you, I'm sorry but that's what I experienced only last week.

pet passport scheme was far simpler and cheaper than now
I'll take your word for it but that's nothing to do with my original post so why even bother bringing it up? We'll have someone chip in about fishing rights next. Oh, and we might as well mention the Erasmus programme while your all steaming in with a spot of deflection.

Just coming up to a month in CZ now, and it's noticeable that there are real shortages here too. Yes, shortages of shortages that is. Have asked the locals if any crises here, but nothing. Some have heard about the Brexit fiasco and find it very surprising and are amused. Don't think they can believe how far a country they once admired has fallen. I tell them with the jokers we have in charge there's still some way to go. Very sad. Life just goes on here without drama or the citizens getting fcked over. Shops are full, police very active and prominent (reflected in the low crime rate), public transport cheap, reliable and very regular, bins emptied several times a week. Not until you go somewhere else you realise how UK is failing badly in so many essential areas.

Any new crises since I've been away? Have they fixed the old ones? :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back