I wish I was a plumber!

Unfortunatley mate you have three hopes

and two of them are related to bob.

nowt to do witht the poles (which are for the most part qualified and damn good)

its mainly to do with the fact that older people need to earn some serious money and FAST hence they come on, learn, get qualified and fox trot oscar off in their own van with several of their late employees clients

not saying you would but enough of your peers have done this to queer the pitch of any older trainess trying to get a break.

Also tied up in this is that a huge amount of re trainers have got their shiney new NVQ2 (which is soft strong and very very long which is handy cos arrsewipe is all that it is good for ;) ) without any on site verification and brought their new van, slapped some sign writting on the side, paid for an ad in the local rag and have started to do the bread and butter work that bigger companies rely on to pay the bills.

Bad Bad BAD time to enter the trade, I wish you all the luck in the world mate I really do but I think you have missed the boat.

the only ones that are making any serious money in the trade these days are the rogue trainers that charge you thousands to "train" as a plumber but in fact delivery very little

sorry

Sponsored Links
I agree corgiman. Around my way I see a new van every week at least! The only way they get work is by under cutting and by the amount of calls I get and no doubt others afterwards, by cutting corners.

The only ones who advertise in my local press are known to us all as the local bodger/cheap skate rip off merchants who offer no back up service and fit the cheapest c*** out there.

I would not like to be starting out again today! The picture is painted too rosy that we are all on £100K without hardly lifting a finger :rolleyes:

No for that we have to lift TWO fingers

LMAO

No it is not that great out here hence why I have to work all the hours just to get my money

20 yrs experiance more bits of paper than you can wave a stick at and I (if I am lucky) cleared about 32k before tax

sure that if I went self employed I could get more, but I have to get the clients first and what with scumbags chucking in boilers for 900 in my area (let you just imagine what boiler and what corners these gits are cutting) It isnt THAT attractive.

Plus Gordon Brown is going to be the gaffer soon and that tight git CAN get blood from a stone

I am lucky in that I have found my niche with the 40 plus customer who want a quality job done and are prepared to pay a bit extra for it, but expect a good back up service.

I always lose out on quotes to the FTB market in my area in the terrace house market, as they are on a tight budget and unfortunately go for price.

Only yesterday I was called out to a Vaillant I fitted 3 months ago :eek: that turned out the OAP had knocked the condense drain off the outlet with clothes in the airing cupboard, that I had told them it couldn't be used for!, and just smiled, fitted an extra pipe clip and said no worry, no charge ;)

I feel that is why I get word of mouth recommendations ;)

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
I am lucky in that I have found my niche with the 40 plus customer who want a quality job done and are prepared to pay a bit extra for it, but expect a good back up service.

I always lose out on quotes to the FTB market in my area in the terrace house market, as they are on a tight budget and unfortunately go for price.

Only yesterday I was called out to a Vaillant I fitted 3 months ago :eek: that turned out the OAP had knocked the condense drain off the outlet with clothes in the airing cupboard, that I had told them it couldn't be used for!, and just smiled, fitted an extra pipe clip and said no worry, no charge ;)

I feel that is why I get word of mouth recommendations ;)

what ELSE is it for lmao

Word of mouth is all very well but you have to get a few to build that up and the only way I can see of doing it is nick some of my guv'nors clients which I will not do

I will stay employed for a bit, easier on the heart

:)

At least when you leave off you leave off :LOL: All the time I am on here is whilst I am working in my office with quotes, invoices, internet orders etc etc.

gas4you said:
At least when you leave off you leave off :LOL: All the time I am on here is whilst I am working in my office with quotes, invoices, internet orders etc etc.

exactly

:)

I sometimes wonder if it is worth the little extra I get compared to being employed :cry:

I do like the freedom of coming and going as I feel fit and what suits the job. Plus I am no good at early mornings! Anything before 9am or 10 am on a Monday is the 'middle of the night ' to me :LOL:

Note to my self; must stop drinking :LOL:

Go to night school if family/work commitments allow, at 42 your still a young man. At 50 you will wish you had done it.

Note to my self; must stop drinking

OH me too Dave, fell in the rockery Sat/night, Sun/morn, I look like Dela Hoya fought me. :oops: :LOL: .............need these:cool:

Mines usually fell down before me, but gives a good run for the money. When on hols we drink till we fall off the bar stool, literally, then try to walk each other home :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back