Ideal Classic fan, ok or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fan here from an Ideal Classic ff380 boiler. I want to check this fan before buying a new one (pump is running but boiler won't fire up), also the APS is ok. There are scorch marks on the transistor bit on the fan so i think it is the fan that is knackered, but what should it be reading if it's ok and what should it be reading (ohms wise) if it is knackered. Don't want to spend a lot of this customers money if it ain't necessary. Anyone know what the ohms readings should be?

Sponsored Links
You need an RGI.

You should not be opening up this boiler.
Is the fan remote of the boiler?
Paul.

I am an RGI - fan is showing 55.3 ohms but will not spin for more than half a turn and there are scorch marks on both sides of the motor at the top, but because of the ohms reading, i am not sure if it is knackered or not. Can anyone help? ALSO i've connected it up to a car battery at home and it still won't spin. Although there was power at the terminal when it was still in the boiler. I'm 95% sure it's the fan, if anyone can give me a way to prove it before i go shopping tomorrow. Ohms reading is correct.

Sponsored Links
testing an AC fan with a DC battery i've heard it all now FFS what fast track plumbing course took your money? PMSL

As you've probably guessed, my electrics side of this is not so hot, i thought it would spin, obviously not, it didn't whilst it was connected up either. The ohms reading is correct tho', so does this mean the fan is ok? I have my meter set at 200 and it is showing 55.3ohms.

Fan will spin about half a turn, it doesn't spin freely until it stops, like it should do, but it does spin, just not that far.
The scorch marks are saying to me it's the fan, but the ohms shouldn't be reading 55 if it's knackt?

did you have 240v at the fan terminals before you took it off ?

Didn't have my meter with me so i just stuck my leccy screwdriver on it and it lit up when i swiched the boiler on at the mains on the spade terminals, so not 100% sure about the EXACT voltage, but there was power there.

Forgive me for the cheap shot, but I do have a new fan for an Audi that you can have for a reasonable price.... :D

i forgive you corgiroach, i am quite new to this, i only got my gas safe last month, although i have been doing it (mainly servicing) now for just over 5 years. I know the sequence of ops etc and i have changed a few parts before but not too many, that's why i wanted someone with a bit more technical info to tell me what else it could be if it's not the fan. I've looked at the manual but it's not very good really compared to some others. Also the customer is a police officer, so i don't want to end up behind bars.

Best advise that I can give you is never try to save the customer money by fitting used parts... You may be the hero of the hour but if the part fails tomorrow you will be the biggest ratbag in the world when they have to pay out for a new part..

Passing your ACS is just the start and you'll never stop learning. Good luck

I wouldn't even know where to get used parts.
It's the fact that i may buy a new part and it still won't work that's worrying me. £80 down the drain and he then thinks i'm a **** and won't recommend me to friends and family etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back