Ideal Classic fan, ok or not?

If it's a new part thats faulty, then it goes back to the supplier with a snotty comment... Unfortunate for the customer if its a Friday evening but sadly, thats life

Sponsored Links
as you say you're new so some sound advice...
never go to a boiler breakdown without a multimeter, they are available for less than a tenner! get one and learn how to use it. and learn the difference between AC & DC before using said meter !

That goes without saying corgigrouch, my concern is that the existing fan is ok, so when i fit another/new fan that is ok, it obviously still won't work (the boiler) and i end up with egg on my chin, even more than normal. If the existing fan is reading 55ohms and that is what it should read, why isn't it working if there is power there.
If it's not the fan that's the prob, the boiler still won't fire no matter how many new fans i put on it and i have wrongly diagnosed it.
As mentioned, i am not up on my electrics.

as you say you're new so some sound advice...
never go to a boiler breakdown without a multimeter, they are available for less than a tenner! get one and learn how to use it. and learn the difference between AC & DC before using said meter !

without a doubt sound advice
Fluke87Meter.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've got 2, one i bought and one i borrowed, just forgot to take it with me today, prob cos it was sunday and i left my other toolbox at home.

dunno if they still do them but partcentre did a cheap one that did temp as well

handy to have $18

and a cheap analogue meter is handy at times £5

i use a fluke 179 (cos i got it cheap)

at the end of the day tho if you don't know how to use it you can have the best kit in the world and it's no use :idea:

thats a good suggestion kevin ;)

Thanks to everyone who replied firstly.
Fan motor WAS ok - hence the 55 ohms reading.
Bearings had seized however, but an electric rewind firm in Wakefield figured out it was ok and just changed the 2 bearings for me and charged £25+vat, a new fan would have been £105.23+vat, so i saved a ton for this customer there.
Replaced fan and the boiler is back working ok, just charged him 2 hours labour as i serviced the fire and boiler also whilst there during this time.
Also thanks to KevinD for the RCD info. I will definately do that as it will save me some time in the long run. Which of the 2 leads would you stick on the fans 2 terminals though? L&N or L&E?

you should register for the Combustion Chamber for advice. Many of us won't give advice on repairing, replacing and testing safety critical components on the open forum.

fan should have 3 terminals! if only 2 which is rare then live/neutral
earth tag/terminal is usually on the base rather than the motor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back