Ideal Icos DIY PCB Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Ideal ICOS HE24, which appears to be dead. There is no output on the LED display and switching the power switch doesn't make any difference.
There is 240v going into the PCB box and the fuse is good, so based on other peoples issues, I'm going to assume that the PCB is faulty.

I've got another one of these boilers (exactly the same) in another property. Can you just swap the PCB modules between the two, or is there some specific configuration to be done as well?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
IMHO, best left to someone who knows what they are about. I am not saying that you are not.

IF it is the PCB, then eventaking one from another boiler, it might blow the other board.

Maybe the board has gone due to another component failure.

Thanks, yes I did read that the fan can be the culprit. I was intending on measuring the resistance across the fan of the faulty and known good boilers and comparing the two. I was really just wanting to know if the pcbs can just be swapped?
If it turns out to be the fan I understand I'll need a gas safe engineer to replace it?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
not the only thing that can blow the pcb on these though

Gas Valve, a burnt through hex from lack of correct servicing causing the wiring harnesses to short.. Sump leaking when condensing shorting board

But from you saying another property I'm guessing you rent one/both. Minute you take combustion cover off to do resistance checks on fan etc you've broke case seal and as such are liable for 26.9 checks.. Are you an RGI??

Thanks, so I can't test the fan resistance without opening the combustion cover? It can't be done where it connects to the PCB?

There are no signs of leaks and the boiler has been regularly serviced.

No, not gas registered, so won't be removing the combustion cover.

shouldn't be working on gas boilers where any part will have an effect on the combustion. As the pcb has control over this you don't have the ability to test it is working correctly afterwards you should leave it to an RGI

We all know that people want to be landlords to make money.

When that is extended to doing DIY boiler repairs in a tenanted property then I see that as very dismissive of the safety of the paying tenants!

Their safety should be your prime concern!

Thanks for the replies. No, I am not a landlord, and no, I'm not looking to "cut corners".

I am however, someone who prefers to DIY, which I thought was the spirit of this forum, hence my original question of "does the PCB require any additional configuration or not". I am someone who is generally interested in things like this and, if I can, like to do work on my own house / car / computers / appliances etc myself.

The question is fairly cut and dry really. Is it a straight swap or not.

The answer should be cut and dry TBH, if you want the job doing properly then no call in a qualified person.
However if you want to take a punt on it being a PCB fault and not something else causing a PCB fault, and your not bothered if it's actually working correctly/safely then yes go ahead.
Personally I wouldn't recommend the latter.

shouldn't be working on gas boilers where any part will have an effect on the combustion. As the pcb has control over this you don't have the ability to test it is working correctly afterwards you should leave it to an RGI

But it's not part of the 'gas path' so is perfectly legal.
:eek:
Is that an educated guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back