Ideas on a good PLC to use...

The siemens logo is neither function block nor ladder.
You basically start with an input on the left and build a program using things like AND gates, OR gates, Timers etc and link them to an output on the right hand side.
I think you can build blocks as well, it is a while since I last used one of those units.
If you are wanting simple on/off control then use digital inputs. Analogue is used for measuring for argument sake a voltage signal such as 0-10v. You may have more than one analogue input and sum them and use this to drive an output or control a timer.
When you say timers programmed do you mean to switch on at a certain time of day (like an immersion heater timer), or do you mean so you have a delay before an action?
I wouldn't recommend one of these types of unit for use as a time clock as it is pretty annoying to change the settings without a PC.
The delay before an action isn't a problem.
I think you can still get a LOGO starter kit which includes a PLC, software and the lead, along with a book on programming.

Sponsored Links
Found a manual on google for this PLC. Looks ideal for what I need. Downloaded the programming software from schneider but its c**p! Not very easy to use, you litterally have a picture of the PLC on the screen and you program it like you would straight onto the PLC itself. Is there any other PC software for this PLC do you know, which gives you a block drawing or ladder layout?

Sponsored Links
Not used the telemechanique one, have used mitsubishi alpha and crouzet millennium, not the up to date ones. I'll have to have a look in my loft sometime - I ought to have a few of those logic controllers and the software. Only thing I need is a serial port on a PC!

Zelio soft should be defaulted to write in ladder. On the version i have, you have to select FBD before it will allow function block diagram. When you click on new programme what options are you getting?

Which version of zelio soft is it?

Zelio soft should be defaulted to write in ladder. On the version i have, you have to select FBD before it will allow function block diagram. When you click on new programme what options are you getting?

Which version of zelio soft is it?

I uninstalled whatever rubbish I had, and found another source for it and re downloaded it. Seems better now, V4.4 I think it is. Not really played with it yet tho!

Next problem! Anyone know a good place to get a SR2USB01 data transfer cable for the telemechanique plc? It costs about £70 and I dont want to spend that!! Or anyone got a spare one they dont want, which I'l buy!!??

That's an outrageous price.

There really should be a law against that sort of thing.

Not from their point of view - to them it seems wonderfully profitable, and people have no choice because of the proprietary plug on one end.

There's probably also more to it than a direct piece of wire, most of the old brick PLCs communicated using RS232 or similar. Is a serial lead cheaper? (albeit means you'll need a PC with one to program, or a USB/Serial adaptor which I never managed to get to work properly)

Maplin`s seem to be the best for a USB/Serial converter.
Just remember to change the comms ports or it will never work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back