Ideas on a good PLC to use...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There's probably also more to it than a direct piece of wire,
I'd be gobsmacked if there was.

Google for info on that cable, and you'll see a USB plug on one end, a length of cable which looks exactly like every other USB cable in the universe, and a plug on the other end which looks nothing like any plug you can buy anywhere and from anybody except on the end of a £70 lead made by Telemecanique.

The whole assembly could probably be sold at a normal profit for about 5% of the official price, and the only way they can get away with charging £70 is because nobody else has access to the non-USB plug on one end of the cable.

Maplin`s seem to be the best for a USB/Serial converter.
Just remember to change the comms ports or it will never work.
Please show where Maplin have anything which will plug into the port on the Telemecanique device.

Please show where Maplin have anything which will plug into the port on the Telemecanique device.

A USB to Serial was mentioned, not the final lead.
Which looking at the picture is a DB9 to something else. As you probably know not many lap tops have a serial port now and that is what I was responding to.

be676a0b-3c93-4398-b27c-0189629bf3ca.jpg

Fair enough.

There's probably also more to it than a direct piece of wire,
I'd be gobsmacked if there was.

Is a serial lead cheaper?
flyingsparks needs an SR to USB cable. See the photo.

It's possible that an SR to DB9/DB25 cable would work with the right driver (disclaimer - I don't know how compatible signal voltages are between V.28 and USB), but a standard serial lead, or a DB/USB converter would be no use.

The vital component is the plug on the end which fits into the Telemecanique device, and that's what is priced at £70.

There's plenty of room in that white enclosure with the proprietary socket for a PCB. Without seeing one it's impossible to say 100% sure, just going on the other brands where there are components and a PCB within the socket.

are you definitely going for telemech? i know its what you have got, but theres a world of better plc's out there which dont require any fancy leads etc.... most new stuff is happy with ethernet cable or a standard 232.

in industry its mainly mitsy, allan bradley and siemens with occasional instances of b&r, eberle and telemech and other lesser known plc manufacturers.

There's plenty of room in that white enclosure with the proprietary socket for a PCB. Without seeing one it's impossible to say 100% sure, just going on the other brands where there are components and a PCB within the socket.
True.

Maybe if flyingsparks bites the £70 bullet he can open it up and find out :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back