Ignition for hob/oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse my ignorance but I am moving into a flat (partly furnished) and the gas hob and oven has a button, which I presume is for igniting the rings, but seems not to do anything. It doesn't click-click-click.

Now, at the risk of having scorn poured all over me (and a risk I am happy to take if I can get the darned cooker to work), is there something I need to do to get it to fire up or, if it is proper stuffed, am I too? I am thinking in terms of batteries, electricity, flints, prayers etc.

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

St John

Sponsored Links
Look on the appliance for any sort of battery cover, this is sometimes the method of power for IGN only. Batttery may be behind. If the oven has a light, it will have a 230V supply, so the IGN is likely to be fed from this.

The battery cover can sometimes be hard to find. Sometimes it's under the door. Check for a cable at the back of the cooker to see if you need to plug it in! (Or buy matches ;) )

On my hob the battery is hidden under the actual ignitor button. You have to press it down and turn it a quater turn anti clockwise to remove the cover.

Sponsored Links
note: until you get hold of a suitable battery you should be able to light the gas with a match or one of those peizo electric lighters sold for camp stoves.

We used to have a gas cooker with no ignition at all! :( Used to have to get down in the oven with a match :eek: I was only 10! :LOL:

A far cry from our current oven - if the ignition wont fire, it cuts off the gas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back