immigrants in prison.

Ah but you do have certain art shop owners who love to show off their piccies of the glorius sunsets you get. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The problem is not as clear cut as the xenophobes would have us believe.

So I'm a xenophobe because I disagree with you ? And no doubt a racist 'little Englander' too? You ought to give New Labour a call, they use these smear tactics to stifle opposition debate too.

The difference between me and you MW is that I can speak from experience - I live in an area where immigration is a big problem. I dont know where you live but if you are not experiencing these issues then you are not in a postion to deny it's a problem. I wouldnt believe everything they write in The Gaurdian if I was you.

Errrm ... No

You are a xenophobe because of your views on people not native to this country ...
Xenophobes have problems with population groups present within a society, which are not considered part of that society, often they are recent immigrants.
And there is a World of difference between xenophobia and racism so let's not go there ;)

I have never denied that there are problems associated with the current immigration policy of this country but I do not believe as others so often post on these forums that immigration is the sole problem with our society.

What I have said is that immigration is not a problem in many areas of the country ... The south west of England being one of them.

You could always move if it causes you so much distress.

And I don't think I have EVER read the Guardian ;)

MW

Sponsored Links
grrinc";p="724984 said:
The problem is not as clear cut as the xenophobes would have us believe.
Grrinc Wrote: "So I'm a xenophobe. And no doubt a racist 'little Englander' too? Labour use these smear tactics to stifle opposition debate too.

The difference between me and you MW is that I can speak from experience - I live in an area where immigration is a big problem. quote]"

I would have thought that you as a self-confessed "Xenophobe", a racist "Little Englander"AND an anti-labour person living in an area where immigration is a problem would have had something positive to say!

What I have said is that immigration is not a problem in many areas of the country ... The south west of England being one of them.

MW

So as long as it doesn't affect you directly - then you are all for it eh? I don't suppose gun crime affects you directly either?

I think the point is that immigration as a term shouldnt be used as the reason for the countries problems as that suggests that all immigrants are causing problems, there are good and bad as in all walks of life, I for one work amongst a lot of different people from all over the world and I have to say the foreign ones seem to be the most conscientious and hard working.

Megawatt -

http://www.answers.com/topic/xenophobia

Lots of arguable definations - but generally thrown around in the same context as 'racism'. If this is not what you meant then fair enough. But I can assure you I do not hate, and am not fearful of foreigners either. I, and most people concerned over this governments border policies, am not a xenophobe.

Did you ever see that film about the ocean liner that sank. There weren't enough lifeboats to go around so lots of those bobbing around in the life jackets swam to a nearby lifeboat which was already full, and climbed aboard, against the wishes of those already in it - it sank.

Grrinc:
In various contexts, the terms "xenophobia" and "racism" seem to be used interchangeably, though they have wholly different meanings (xenophobia being based on place of birth, racism being based on ancestry)
As I clearly said in my post I was not inferring any racist intent from your posts.

Briwire wrote:
Did you ever see that film about the ocean liner that sank. There weren't enough lifeboats to go around so lots of those bobbing around in the life jackets swam to a nearby lifeboat which was already full, and climbed aboard, against the wishes of those already in it - it sank.
Yes I did and, as I recall, the people in the boats were predominently women and children (and rich people) and the people in the water men and poor people ... So, your point is what exactly?

MW

As I clearly said in my post I was not inferring any racist intent from your posts.

Yes, but you were inferring xenophobia which is ( to me ) as much a slur - I dont fear, distrust nor hate foreigners. I, like many others, simply find the governments border control policy reckless. And I aint moving either!!

p.s - I think I may be coming across as a git here with you MW - if so, I apologise. It's just a very touchy subject for me at the moment ( I will explain another day ) and I usually find your input here quite agreeable.

No offence intended grrinc (nor any taken).

I've not said that I agree with the policy on immigration I just accept that it is what it is and consider that the only way to effect a change is at the polling booth.

I don't believe that imigration is the sole reason for malaise in our society either though.

Move to the south west ... It's nice down here ... Wet, but nice :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
Back