Inappropriate Language

I used to berate apprentices who would use foul language in front of a female apprentice I once had. Then one day, unknown to her, I overheard her talking to them in the same manner. So I thought, "Right, if you can use it you can hear it." After that I never stopped the lads but still wouldn't use it myself within her earshot. As with Micilin I can match anyone when on a site job.

Sponsored Links
No need on a site either.
If they have to resort to it they have lost the argument.
And I still get to keep the cable runs and spaces indicated for my control equipment :mrgreen:

Referring to an idiot like imamartian as a ****** is actually quite restrained given the rubbish he posts on here. :rolleyes:
Why a grown man would then be moved enough to start a thread about it is beyond me. Yes, obviously securespark has had it tough. He's not the only one, there are plenty out there far worse off.
If he wants to interact with adults on an internet forum he should expect to see far worse terms used occasionally.
Or am I just an insensitive brute. :mrgreen:

and no, I don't swear in front of my family.

Sponsored Links
Referring to an idiot like imamartian as a ****** is actually quite restrained given the rubbish he posts on here. :rolleyes:
Why a grown man would then be moved enough to start a thread about it is beyond me. Yes, obviously securespark has had it tough. He's not the only one, there are plenty out there far worse off.
If he wants to interact with adults on an internet forum he should expect to see far worse terms used occasionally.
Or am I just an insensitive brute. :mrgreen:

and no, I don't swear in front of my family.

Sooey! i dont believe that you are "ASKING US" if you are an insensitive brute. you should know better than that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are a few on here that should be banned. Not me though eh? ;)
It would be an idea if everyone else is banned apart from you. Then you could quite happily inhabit your little vainglorious oasis of illusion while the rest of us get on with our lives in the real world :mrgreen:
He'd start an argument alone in a phone booth, and it would still be the other guys fault!!
I can imagine Joe starring in " La Cabina " :mrgreen:

I can understand As a young lad locally we used to berate people with the word 'menner' which was in relation to a local mental institution in the town of 'Menston'

?
Good job the institution wasn`t in Penistone :mrgreen:

In this day and age we have to accept that words evolve and become more and less offensive as time goes on. It was not long ago when the use of the word coloured was acceptable for black people and mixed race for Asian people. As our language evolves then we should also evolve to use the correct and inoffensive terms.

This being said you will always get people who will not change their use of words as can be seen with many an elderly person today. They may not mean to insult or offend any one but may not be aware of the change of language and confused with the correct real time meaning of the words.

However people using the words in a derogatory way to offend and insult should not be tolerated. If someone is disabled I feel that they do not deserve to be categorized by a derogatory term. Just because they might not be as able as some does not mean that they do not have feelings and that their feelings are of any less worth than a non disabled person!

So is "Are you deaf"? A derogatory term? Surely it is to a deaf person cuz they can't even hear what you are asking them. :confused:

So is "Are you deaf"? A derogatory term? Surely it is to a deaf person cuz they can't even hear what you are asking them. :confused:

This is the thing, I wouldn't have thought that "are you deaf" was a derogatory statement but who knows what the future might bring. The problem is that words that are perfectly acceptable today may become universally offensive in the future. I suppose that is the nature of a continuously evolving language.

Are you deaf? Are you an idiot? Are you a ******? They are all medical conditions.

Are you deaf? Are you an idiot? Are you a ******? They are all medical conditions.

And words that have evolved to mean differing things for example;

"****** = a person who has a mental disability (often used as a general term of abuse)."
"idiot = a stupid person."

Definitions from oxforddictionaries.com!

Would you call someone who was born out of wedlock a b**t**d or would you show more tact than that and not mention it? What is the difference?

Quite interesting especially the "Disability and handicap" section!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism_treadmill#Euphemism_treadmill

"Hey you! Are you deaf?"

Not very friendly is it?

If he was he wouldn't know what you were saying so why ask?

They are all just words but its the intent and the manner in which we use them that counts...if its in an insulting and derogatory manner then no it surely isn't acceptable.

They are all just words but its the intent and the manner in which we use them that counts...if its in an insulting and derogatory manner then no it surely isn't acceptable.

So you are saying "Are you deaf?" is an insult then?

Sponsored Links
Back