Inappropriate Language

Sponsored Links
Are you deaf? Are you an idiot? Are you a ******? They are all medical conditions.

They are all just words but its the intent and the manner in which we use them that counts...if its in an insulting and derogatory manner then no it surely isn't acceptable.

So you are saying "Are you deaf?" is an insult then?

No...if I asked it as a question in a nice way....but if I used it in a derogatory way ...yes.
I also think the word deaf does not have the same connotations as ****** and idiot.

But it's always uses as "Oi you! Are you deaf" or "Oi you! Are you blind".

"Are you an idiot?",

It's all aggressive non-friendly speech.
Are you an imbecile? Moron?

All medical terms.

I don't want along drawn out argument, but in the examples that you use for the manner in which you say it...the people usually aren't actually deaf or blind or an 'idiot' that is the difference.

Sponsored Links
If sooey calls ima a degoritory name, then surely this is nothing to do with us, i think ima is quite capable of fighting his own battles, and the only time the rest of us "sane" people should intervene is when they start nonstop bickering.

I don't want along drawn out argument, but in the examples that you use for the manner in which you say it...the people usually aren't actually deaf or blind or an 'idiot' that is the difference.

Then why are they accused of it? It's just a simple plain insult like '******'.

But it's always uses as "Oi you! Are you deaf" or "Oi you! Are you blind".

"Are you an idiot?",

It's all aggressive non-friendly speech.
Are you an imbecile? Moron?

All medical terms.

Joe - Imbecile, idiot , ****** are not used as labels for people in modern medicine.

And the context is important, as you can ask a person if they are deaf, hard of hearing etc without being insulting.

there seems to be a lot of very politically correct people on this thread.......can you all, hand on heart say you have never used a term that may be thought of as derogatory to someone, somewhere......?

there seems to be a lot of very politically correct people on this thread.......can you all, hand on heart say you have never used a term that may be thought of as derogatory to someone, somewhere......?

When younger I'm sure I did. But when someone says to me that 'such and such' is offesnvie, I have a thihk about it. My initial reaction is not ' It's a word and it's meant to be used so I'll use it' but will try and use another term if I can.

'Politically correct' is a loaded term. Often used to deride people who just consider others.

If not wanting people to be called '******' is PC , then I'm PC.

It's just manners........

:oops: did i press 'u' instead of 'a'? :eek: :oops: :oops:

what i meant to put AA, is as you are so new to the site, i thought you were a reincarnation of a very nice chap who used to come here called Canteloup... or Cant (careful !!) as we used to know him.... he keeps getting banned and then popping up with different names...

I'll type more carefilly in future ;)

SS you do right to stand up for what you feel and believe in. And don't stop, you may change a few people... but as Joe says, you won't change the world, so don't let it overtake you.

As for my little outburst... some of the posters on here want to get real... my little "outburst" was how i felt at the time... and if any of you really believe kids will be on the 'net, reading posts on DIYnot - i don't think so. Kids on the 'net have a lot more to look out for on social networking sites... you only need to look at the comments on some youtube vids to see vile, sick un-controlled comments..

As for the word i chose, your kids have much more chance of catching a snippet of Shameless on the TV and hearing it every other episode !!

AA, if you are for real, then i didn't mean to offend, but you say you've been on forums before, well you'll know all about trolls - like Sooey and Ellal - that jump up and insult you as soon as you make a post about anything. Couple that with the sick notion that the thing(s) that took Maddie were lesser criminals than the McCanns (plus a bottle of wine ;) ) it made me type the wrong letters !! :mrgreen:

But the McCanns should be jailed just like that Council Tennant was - and her kid didn't disappear.

And this thread is supposed to be about the Great Sir Patrick Moore. :confused:

I take it your addressing me. Imamartian. As before there is no need for it. I try and limit what my children see, but as they are teenagers and have smart phones it can be difficult .
The McCanns need locking up. There is even "noises" about some of the monies received not going where intended.
Not going into the argument again, they were wrong, the kidnapper(s) wrong. If we had done this we would be in jail now.

Sponsored Links
Back