Industrial round plugs (16 A/32 A)

Sponsored Links
Blue and red types are increasingly being made in black for entertainment use.

Well, sort of, yeah..... its only the end caps, where the cable exists, that are black - the shroud around the pins is still the 'proper' colour. The idea is to help them become less obtrusive when used on lighting trusses and the like were the red or blue caps stand out from a mass of otherwise black cabling.

The yellow ceeform has been (ab)used for a number of years on the pickle (hand controller) of the electric chain winches used on lighting rigs. The control system for these operates at 110V so the voltage rating isn't exceeded but the circuit isn't a 'power' circuit and can't supply a load, also the 'earth' pin isn't usually connected to earth in this application.

Sponsored Links
Well, sort of, yeah..... its only the end caps, where the cable exists, that are black - the shroud around the pins is still the 'proper' colour. The idea is to help them become less obtrusive when used on lighting trusses and the like were the red or blue caps stand out from a mass of otherwise black cabling.

The yellow ceeform has been (ab)used for a number of years on the pickle (hand controller) of the electric chain winches used on lighting rigs. The control system for these operates at 110V so the voltage rating isn't exceeded but the circuit isn't a 'power' circuit and can't supply a load, also the 'earth' pin isn't usually connected to earth in this application.
No, I mean ALL black, there's a few on here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?...56D409C8F07EFA27A3739C482FFE4472A&FORM=IQFRBA

No, I mean ALL black, there's a few on here: ...
Several of them have 'blue bits' - which I suppose might (I don't know) just about make them 60309-compliant for use on'blue' voltage ranges. However, if they're all black, depending on the earth pin position, they should be for:

3pin (single phase): 400V-480V
4pin (3P+E): 480V-500V or 600V-690V
5pin (3P+N+E): 277-288V/480V-500V or 347-400/600V-690V

Kind Regards, John

I love this stuff, all the bits are available individually and can be built in all sorts of combinations and colours.
94325000.jpg

Several of them have 'blue bits' - which I suppose might (I don't know) just about make them 60309-compliant for use on'blue' voltage ranges. However, if they're all black, depending on the earth pin position, they should be for:

3pin (single phase): 400V-480V
4pin (3P+E): 480V-500V or 600V-690V
5pin (3P+N+E): 277-288V/480V-500V or 347-400/600V-690V

Kind Regards, John
I can promise I have handled hundreds of all black connectors which mate with blue and red connectors, some have blue or red inserts but not all.

I love this stuff, all the bits are available individually and can be built in all sorts of combinations and colours.
If that's the case, one can presumably do all sorts of 'naughty' things with them - like having the incoming 'indicating' for a much higher voltage range than the outgoing?!

Kind Regards, John

I can promise I have handled hundreds of all black connectors which mate with blue and red connectors, some have blue or red inserts but not all.
There are, per 60309, not meant to be any blue connectors which have the same earth pin positions as the black ones - the latter being 150°/"5 o'clock" or 210°/"7 o'clock".

Kind Regards, John

There are, per 60309, not meant to be any blue connectors which have the same earth pin positions as the black ones - the latter being 150°/"5 o'clock" or 210°/"7 o'clock".

Kind Regards, John
I think the pic is clear enough where the earth pin is!
and on these two too although it looks like a red label which is likely to disappear soon.
showtec-cee-16a-380v-5p-6h-female-black-twist-70097-p.jpg
EPS415_32_2.jpg

I think the pic is clear enough where the earth pin is! and on these two too although it looks like a red label
All three of those appear to have the earth pin in the 180° ("6 o'clock") position, which means that they should be (as I think you have confirmed) mechanically compatible with the common 3-pin blue ones and 4/5-pin red ones - but that earth pin position is wrong (per 60309) for any black connector.

Kind Regards, John

All three of those appear to have the earth pin in the 180° ("6 o'clock") position, which means that they should be (as I think you have confirmed) mechanically compatible with the common 3-pin blue ones and 4/5-pin red ones - but that earth pin position is wrong (per 60309) for any black connector.

Kind Regards, John
Indeed they are all in the same position, which is the reason I have taken the time to join this thread. As mentioned earlier I have handled a great many of the all black connectors and they have all, without exception, mated perfectly with reds and blues [and possibly some yellows too]. If this means they are non-conformist then perhaps the plug police need to be informed :)

Additionally I recall installing loads of blue connectors in a factory and they had about 6 different layouts to prevent them being plugged up incorrectly. IIRC the inserts in early plugs and sockets were adjustable and had a ring labelled 1H to 12H.

Indeed they are all in the same position, which is the reason I have taken the time to join this thread. As mentioned earlier I have handled a great many of the all black connectors and they have all, without exception, mated perfectly with reds and blues ...
Fair enough. I'm just the messenger ... all I'm doing is stating what IEC 60309 says, and there should be no black connectors with an earth pin in the same position as blue or red ones - so one can but speculate about what that means in terms of all the black ones you have come across - can you recall if they actually claimed to be to IEC 60309 (rather than just 'similar' or 'compatible')?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough. I'm just the messenger ... all I'm doing is stating what IEC 60309 says, and there should be no black connectors with an earth pin in the same position as blue or red ones - so one can but speculate about what that means in terms of all the black ones you have come across - can you recall if they actually claimed to be to IEC 60309 (rather than just 'similar' or 'compatible')?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry no, I just turn up and set the kit up, flight cases full of cables yada yada yada.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back