Inspection recommends new CU....

I have already paid for it, and I will be going back for clarification.
You definitely need to.
As for replacing the CU, the company that have quoted for the works say they will have to move the CU location to be away from the gas meter, which is currently right next to the CU, which is presumably why the cost is so high.
That might possibly be a factor, but moving the CU a bit doesn't necessarily impact much on the cost of the job. How close is the CU to the gas meter/pipes at present? - per the guidelines (not regulations), it only needs to be 150 mm away from gas pipes (and cables should be 25 mm from gas pipes).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't know the exact distances, but its all crammed into a cupboard so perhaps not surprised if it did need moving.

As john was saying, the report is rubbish, really woeful. Out of interest how much was it and did it include testing? (if it did the whole report/test results would be interesting).

£2k to update the CU is a LOT, if that's all that needs doing, and it would seem to be going by the report.

It quite probably was installed for fault protection in an TT installation (and not for personal protection) - but, regardless of the reason (or not) it was installed, the absence of 30mA RCD 'personal protection', per se, is probably something that most people would (rightly or wrongly) regard as a 'safety issue', particularly in rented accommodation.
I think I see what you mean but I think there is a difference.
I was saying that if TT then item 16 is wrong.

If the 100mA RCD is there because it is TT (and correct) should not the inspector have merely commented on the fact that there is no 30mA protection (as per latest regulation) without reference to the 100mA?
This in my opinion warrants a C3 (improvement recommended) but many disagree and consider it C2 (potentially dangerous).

If it is TN and the 100mA is just a mistake then the report is correct, and would be the same were the 100mA not there at all, but whether C2 or C3 can still be debated.

Sponsored Links
I think I see what you mean but I think there is a difference. I was saying that if TT then item 16 is wrong.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I totally agree with your saying that if it were TT, then #16 is wrong. However, that's not what I was talking about. I was refering to the exchange a few posts later when you responded to:
Would the 100mA RCD issue be the main actual safety issue ... ?
... by writing ...
If it was installed because you have a TT supply (earth rod in the ground), no it is ok. .....
Although you did go on to add "....If it was installed for personal protection, yes." it was that response from you that I thought could be misinterpreted to mean that 'the RCD issue' would not be a ('the main') safety issue if it had been installed because the OP had a TT supply.
If the 100mA RCD is there because it is TT (and correct) should not the inspector have merely commented on the fact that there is no 30mA protection (as per latest regulation) without reference to the 100mA?
Yes, but that it possibly just yet another issue about the clarity/literacy of the report! Don't forget, there are some amongst the inconprehensive items 6-12 which might relate to the lack of 30mA RCD protection!
This in my opinion warrants a C3 (improvement recommended) but many disagree and consider it C2 (potentially dangerous).
Indeed - and, as you know, my inclination is to share your view.

Kind Regards, John

Drive by PIR by incompetents in my opinion. I've seen these 'generic' type reports and they are really user un-friendly as you have to keep referring back to the company to understand what they mean. If they have been paid then they have no interest in helping you at all.
This is a big company called E*****n. One of my former collegues went to work for them for a while and all they are interested in is doing them as quickly as possible as they are on bonuses!

Drive by PIR by incompetents in my opinion. I've seen these 'generic' type reports and they are really user un-friendly as you have to keep referring back to the company to understand what they mean. If they have been paid then they have no interest in helping you at all.
Quite so - as I said, the report seems to be the product of 'point and click' software, with minimal actual typing to explain exactly what problems they claim to have identified.

As I've also said to the OP, if it were me I would not even be considering using the same people/firm to undertake any remedial work which might be required.

Kind Regards, John

Especially not at that price!
Indeed - although, to be fair, the report is so bad that we don't actually know the extent of the work for which they have quoted! (WabbitPoo: do I take it that they didn't provide any details, other than the 'report', of what work they were quoting for?).

I certainly would have no confidence in the electrical work of someone who was happy to provide a customer with a report such as we have seen.

Kind Regards, John

The health report and the quote are two different outfits.

The quoter also reckon they found a few more bits to do....

I am awaiting a call from the "expert" who did it for clarification.

From what you have said so far, I am inclined to get items 14, 15 and 16 sorted (IIRC one of the two DBs has an mcb pulled as the circuit is not used, although I am not sure about this...if so, surely a blank can be put in place?)

The health report and the quote are two different outfits. The quoter also reckon they found a few more bits to do.... I am awaiting a call from the "expert" who did it for clarification.
Fair enough. You obviously need a detailed specification of exactly what work is being quoted for - and, as always, you would be very well advised to get more than one quote - don't forget that the £2k you have been quoted is on the way to approaching the cost of 'a full re-wire'.
From what you have said so far, I am inclined to get items 14, 15 and 16 sorted (IIRC one of the two DBs has an mcb pulled as the circuit is not used, although I am not sure about this...if so, surely a blank can be put in place?)
Yes, that's essentially what I suggested (although all the missing labels is obviously a trivial matter which might as well be addressed). However, as I also said, it could be that item 17 (replacing the CU) might be the simplest, and perhaps even cheapest, way of addressing several of the issues.

Kind Regards, John

The RCD protection is in the form of a seperate gray box....as opposed to integrated into either of the two DBs. To change to a 30mA from what it is now, is it a "simple" matter of swapping it for another gray box of the right rating?

Thanks to all for your advice so far.

The RCD protection is in the form of a seperate gray box....as opposed to integrated into either of the two DBs. To change to a 30mA from what it is now, is it a "simple" matter of swapping it for another gray box of the right rating?
That could certainly be done, but to have just a single RCD protecting the whole installation would not (in most people's eyes) be compliant with current regulations. Whilst there is, in general, no complusion to bring existing installations into compliance with current regulations, 'new work' does have to comply - so I can see scope for some debate as to whether or not changing the RCD to something different (which could be said to be 'new work') would be acceptable.

The 'modern' (and compliant) approach, which is what you would get if you got a new CU, would be to have at least two RCDs (in the CU), one serving some of the circuits and the other serving other circuits - so that tripping of one RCD would not leave the entire place with no electricity.

There is, of course, also the issue of the proximity of your CU to the gas meter/pipes (which might possibly worry the 'gas inspector' as well as the electricity one!). If the CU had to be moved, it would make no sense not to take the opportunity to upgrade it to a modern one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back