Installed wood window sill wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easy to do for someone like me wanting to forget DIY and enjoy the BH.

Put sill in with foam, but even though i thought I'd held it long enough clearly it hadn't set as it's not completely level and slants forward a bit.

Do I cut this out ( if yes how) and start again or as its under a blind just drink beer and forget about it?

Sponsored Links
Easy to do for someone like me wanting to forget DIY and enjoy the BH.

Put sill in with foam, but even though i thought I'd held it long enough clearly it hadn't set as it's not completely level and slants forward a bit.

Do I cut this out ( if yes how) and start again or as its under a blind just drink beer and forget about it?

Im guessing you mean a windowboard?

Its hard to comment without more detail, however since its only a visual thing, your decision depends how much it bothers you :ROFLMAO:

Do you mean adhesive foam rather than expanding foam? Usually windowboards are stuck down with blobs of gripfill (assuming its after plastering).

I had uneven surface after taking tiles off. Used soudal expanding foam left over from some other jobs.

The best way (by far) to fix window boards is to line the sill reveal with a dabbed plasterboard first. You can tap it perfectly level with a hint of fall from the window to the room. All you need do then is use a strong grip adhesive (Stixall, Sticks like S**T, Gorilla Grip, CT1 etc) to fix the window board with zero faff.

Soooo easy.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 20190507_075800 copy.jpg
    20190507_075800 copy.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 379
Go back and get a couple of tubes of Gripfill or similar, that'll form a solid bed for the plasterboard (and a thin layer will do for the board as well)

Your sill material looks to high to me as if you need to be removing 25mm or so of masonry....?

When a window is fitted in a newly built opening, the inner and outer masonry is at the same height, i.e. the bottom of the window plus fitting gap.

Your sill material looks to high to me as if you need to be removing 25mm or so of masonry....?

When a window is fitted in a newly built opening, the inner and outer masonry is at the same height, i.e. the bottom of the window plus fitting gap.

It isn't the original windows from build. When I put this board in it came to just about where I've marked the image in blue.

I've ordered a better board from skirting board direct so got a few days yet before new one arrives.

I don't really want to take off the D&D on the sill, its quite a gap between that and the breeze I think.

Attachments

• 20190507_075800 copy.jpg
    20190507_075800 copy.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 275

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back