Installing wireless roomstat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a WB 35cdi which currently just has the boiler dials to regulate temp of HW/CH etc.

I have ordered a Honeywell CM927 wireless room thermostat which I intended to to be installed but my local electrician is unwell and will probably be for some time.

Was wondering if I could fit this myself if it is not that difficult? or if I need to get a proper electrician?

I;ve got average DIY skills and only the most basic electrical skills but no desire to get involved with the risky electrical side of things.

Sponsored Links
If you've only got a basic knowledge I would advise getting a professional in, perhaps your regular plumber may be able to give you a recommendation.

Working on electrics can be very dangerous!

However if your good at following the manufacturers recommendations and your competent with electrics then should be relatively straight forward.

I think you've answered your own question mate. Probably should get a gas engineer in to do the job.

Thanks for responses. Much as I expected really.

It's just that the only other nearish electrician is not the sort I'd employ to change a plug (the corgi chap who looks after my boiler etc that I'm happy with says he doesn't do the electrical stuff).

I'll maybe just wait till my regular chap is on the mend.

Sponsored Links

It's just that the only other nearish electrician is not the sort I'd employ to change a plug (the corgi chap who looks after my boiler etc that I'm happy with says he doesn't do the electrical stuff).

Why can't your normal corgi chap fit it? It is a simple job fitting a wireless room stat and he should know how to if he fits boilers!

I've got average DIY skills and only the most basic electrical skills
Can you change a plug or wire a switch? If so, you should be able to install a CM927.

Many electricians don't have the first idea how to wire a central heating system!

LargeWrench, he just said he didn't do it. I've no complaints about his gas work and he's a very decent chap so that's ok by me.

D Hailsham, yes I can do those basic things.. I have found a youtube video which makes it look fairly simple as the stat and boiler are similar to mine. Also I have the boiler electrical instructions and really it looks a doddle. I've ordered the appropriate flex as well, 3 core heat resistant .75 I;m told. Just the electricity thing that I lack confidence on. Still I guess I could switch the boiler off, take out the fuse, and flip the electricity switch in the main box to be on the safe side.

I've ordered the appropriate flex as well, 3 core heat resistant .75 I'm told.
You really should be using 4-core (not counting the green/yellow earth wire)

Brown to Boiler L and Receiver L
Blue to Boiler N and receiver N
Colour 1 to Boiler Ls and Receiver A
Colour 2 to Boiler Lr and Receiver B

The earth wire, if present should be connected to the boiler earth connection and made safe at the receiver end by connecting to a terminal block. It must not not used in place of Colour 1 or 2.

PS I don't know why you have had to order the cable. Any Plumbers or Electrical Merchant should have it in stock and B&Q etc usually have it in stock.

I've ordered the appropriate flex as well, 3 core heat resistant .75 I'm told.
You really should be using 4-core (not counting the green/yellow earth wire)

Brown to Boiler L and Receiver L
Blue to Boiler N and receiver N
Colour 1 to Boiler Ls and Receiver A
Colour 2 to Boiler Lr and Receiver B
There's no need for 4-core, 3-core will suffice as the live/common can be jumpered locally:

Brown from Boiler L to Receiver L
Blue from Boiler N to Receiver N
Short piece of brown wire from Receiver L to Receiver A
Black from Boiler Lr to Receiver B

Mathew

There's no need for 4-core, 3-core will suffice as the live/common can be jumpered locally
Yes, you can do that, but it could cause confusion as another person would wonder why there was no wire connected to the Ls terminal.

Such a person ought not to be going anywhere near the wiring of a boiler if that were the case!

However, if we're catering for all sorts then you could run Receiver L from Boiler Ls instead.

Mathew

Why can't your normal corgi chap fit it? It is a simple job fitting a wireless room stat and he should know how to if he fits boilers!

Because it is illeagle!

Wirinf a boiler up other than a plug top comes under Part P of the building regs, anyone who wants to argue with me on this can take it up with building regs, it is Part P notifiable work and must be documented on A MWEIC form, that is the law!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back