Insurance Jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to find out how you handle insurance jobs....as we all know they are notorious for paying months down the line.

Sponsored Links
Well, all the ones we were involved with paid up in time (in two cases even upfront ;))

Only done one, the customer paid on comletion and I had to send a copy of the invoice to the insurance co so she could claim back. It was a good job as she told me what the other company had quoted to do the repairs (she needed 2 quotes) and it was sky-high.

I worked as a "labourer" on work experience a few years ago, with a company run by my neighbour. I dont think it exists any more. They were contracted directly by insurance companies to repair properties. Got a lot of work, right from Leeds to Hull. Employed about 15 tradesmen. A couple of bricklayers, couple of plasterers, artexer, spark, plumber, joiners, jacks-of-all-trades etc. The company seemed to get on ok with the insurers, moneys paid on time etc. Certain jobs, we would collect the insurance excess from the customer on the insurance co's request.

Most jobs were water damage, and when i was working with their surveyor, we would always over-do the work, so the house was restored to its original quality, if not better. So water down one wall and ceiling in a kitchen, couple of kitchen units damaged - quote for replacing ceiling - messy job, so also replace all kicthen unit doors and worktops (chances of getting matches unlikely). Redecorate entire room. Customer happy.

Sponsored Links
I wont touch them full stop unles the customer is willing to pay for the estimate...which I give them a recieipt for so they can claim back anyway.

The reason........I have been had soooooooooooooo many times by customers who submit the quotes then keep the money the insurance pay out without having the work done.

On average id say 8 out of 10 insurance jobs are like this.

You can normally tell because they will say...'your the only one pricing it so dont worry about the price'...encouraging you to rack the price up..so they get more...........or.......they will ask loads of technical questions...

I used to ask for their insuarnce company details 'in case i needed to contact them'...that normally put the skids under them..

I actually grassed one customer for blatently having me over and thinking I didnt have anything better to do with my time other than to run around pricing insurance work for nothing....she wasnt prosecuted, but she was 'noted'

Stuff insurance work...its not worth the bother. IMO

My experiences matches Zampa's in every detail.

I recently resolved never to get done over again, not because I lose out but because I've run out of time to threaten people with court action. So insurance jobs are out. As Zampa says, I now hear the classic words of "you're the only one pricing it" as the more truthful "you're the one we've chosen to use for own devices".

On the other hand, I have e friend who is a furniture restorer and he does a lot of insurance work and I don't think he has too many problems.

Softus said:
My experiences matches Zampa's in every detail.

I recently resolved never to get done over again, not because I lose out but because I've run out of time to threaten people with court action. So insurance jobs are out. As Zampa says, I now hear the classic words of "you're the only one pricing it" as the more truthful "you're the one we've chosen to use for own devices".

Spot on...

Quite ironical there mentioning court...the last person to screw me on an insurance job was..........

A barrister!

Zampa
youre very correct about taking insurance work ....its a nightmare +
when I did a few of them years ago ...the insurers take months to pay up

now I think many insurers have their own direct trades to do repairs

Moz said:
now I think many insurers have their own direct trades to do repairs

That's also right, one of our customers (flooded his newly installed floor, love those jobs ;)) had many difficulties getting permission from his insurer to get us back in instead of their direct builder.
But it turns out (as our broker says) if you refuse, the insurance company can't force you to use thier direct trades.

Last year we were asked to quote for a job, where the council truck went into a garage. Our quote was accepted by the loss adjusters 6months later....so we said we would need to reassess and requote. We advised them that we would add on 2% CPI should we require to requote for the same job. The accepted that and it was approved. However, we stipulated that we would not start the job without a deposit.....so 1.5yrs down the line the insurance company was still passing the buck why they hadnt paid the customer (lost mandates etc.....) so we set a deadline and said that we would no longer consider doing the job if we did not receive the deposit within 7 days.....low & behold 7days passed no deposit. I felt sorry for the customer who now has to start all over again....but not so sorry as we could have laid out for the job and we would be waiting. Its appauling.

Sponsored Links
Back