Interesting Fact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The population of London peaked in 1939 and did not get back to the same level until 2015. Quite amazing.

Sponsored Links
Funny isn't it, so many people moaning how it is overcrowded, and far more people used to live there before the Blitz.

Interesting times for London, maybe it will start to attract more people to live in the CBD areas if businesses continue to move out.

Funny isn't it, so many people moaning how it is overcrowded, and far more people used to live there before the Blitz.
Not really. In 1939, families were generally larger and even when I was growing up in the sixties we had a family of 12 and a family of 13 living in two up, two down houses in our street with no bathroom and an outside bog. IIRC, there were only about 3 cars down our whole street too. Other than hot-bedding poorly paid EU workers, I can’t imagine people going back to those 'good old days', can you?

No, but that doesn't change the fact that London was more crowded before.

Sponsored Links
Slightly more nuanced here : https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/data/population-over-time/

1660560958251.png

"Outer London" didn't dip much.
Back in the day, families were squashed into tiny rooms, and workers were hotbedding, right in some parts of London where nobody lives now.
(Greater London must have grown, over the period. Not sure how they account for that.)
It shows on the latest census which is 1921, but family histories often show it strongly after that. I guess the war, the smogs, & improving transport would all have had an effect to push people out.

Ah, looked up CBD = Central Business District
Thought it was something to do with cannabidiol.... ;)

ACTUALLY folks, it's not just London.
Good site here - https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/22862/manchester/population
I started at Manchester but you can select any "city" from the list a screen down.
They all have similar trends.
Areas rather than cities in some cases.

I know what I mean!

When I lived in London, I always wondered, why do so many people stay in London? There is still a slow migration out of London into the home counties, seen especially in Essex where I live, which is probably why population is still slow to rise in London. Where I lived (Harringay, then Walthamstow), a 3 bed semi would buy a nice large detached with big garden around here. I didn't hang about myself.

I think the pandemic has prompted some people to look further afield, but so many Londoners feel very tied to their suburbs and many, justifiably so, worry about prejudism they may encounter outside of London. I have black, South American, and Turkish friends in London that say they will never leave, but at the same time, many are slowly moving out beyond the M25.

In short, if the 8 million people in London decided to move to the Essex countryside, it would be far more crowded than it is now. And it is already much more crowded than it was when I was growing up.

So, stay in London please!

I know what I mean!

When I lived in London, I always wondered, why do so many people stay in London? There is still a slow migration out of London into the home counties, seen especially in Essex where I live, which is probably why population is still slow to rise in London. Where I lived (Harringay, then Walthamstow), a 3 bed semi would buy a nice large detached with big garden around here. I didn't hang about myself.

I think the pandemic has prompted some people to look further afield, but so many Londoners feel very tied to their suburbs and many, justifiably so, worry about prejudism they may encounter outside of London. I have black, South American, and Turkish friends in London that say they will never leave, but at the same time, many are slowly moving out beyond the M25.

In short, if the 8 million people in London decided to move to the Essex countryside, it would be far more crowded than it is now. And it is already much more crowded than it was when I was growing up.

OK I get you. I'm looking at Lincolnshire. Not sure when will the best time be for me to move.

I know what I mean!

Going by the previous link ( Macrotrends) , migration to the suburbs is not that significant .

OK I get you. I'm looking at Lincolnshire. Not sure when will the best time be for me to move.
Lincs used to be so much cheaper than it is now. A mate from Essex moved up near Spalding about 10 years ago, he got a farm house with 9 acres. Divorce meant he lost it all though. Nowadays the price difference seems much less. Still get a lot more for your money though.
There is a dramatic change in weather though - he was always moaning about how much colder and mistier it was all the time!

Going by the previous link ( Macrotrends) , migration to the suburbs is not that significant .
Look at the graph top of page, inner London versus Outer, , in the left third. Quite marked.
Here's another one which shows it - check 1925 - 1950
1660572910937.png

Inna Lundin dahn, ah'a Lundin up. Innit?

I spent years living in Cambridge. Nicer climate than further south - drier in the winter.

Last edited:
Surely London was smaller, geographically, in 1939?

When you remove the number of properties used for businesses, the population density per square meter of residential properties must have been way higher than it is now.

Sponsored Links
Back