Interesting Fact

According to the video at the Guardian

One in six of London's buildings were damaged during the second world war (I have no idea how many were exclusively residential).

The destruction of the high density slum homes in east London saw a lot of people moved out to the post-war new towns.

It also seems that the expansion of the tube/train network resulted in people moving to the outskirts (eg. Rickmansworth- see: Metroland).

Kudos to @jeds , I didn't know about it previously peaking in 1939.

Sponsored Links
The destruction of the high density slum homes in east London saw a lot of people moved out to the post-war new towns.
London County Council and the GLC built huge amounts of houses outside London. There is at least one estate in Crawley (West Sussex) built by them, so many moved out from London to those. I suspect many evacuees decided not to return either.

I also have an interesting Fact.

Not everyone was Kung Foo fighting!!!

Sponsored Links
Surely London was smaller, geographically, in 1939?

When you remove the number of properties used for businesses, the population density per square meter of residential properties must have been way higher than it is now.
Well "central London" is the same place :).

1660574762898.png

I suspect the tendency to build high rise will have had an effect.

That graph pretty much supports the figures that were quoted; 8.5million in 1939 and didn't get back to 8.5million until 2015. I treat this as one of those things that doesn't have to pass minutiae detail. It is basically right and is something I find very surprising.

BTW, it was from the TV prog; Secrets of the London Underground. Fascinating programme - obviously a lot about the development of the underground, but also touches on a lot of social history.

I also have an interesting Fact.

Not everyone was Kung Foo fighting!!!

And in the song "You're so vain", she accuses the un-named man of being so vain that he would think that the song that she is sing about him is... err... about him.

Even more odd- in Weak by Skunk Anansie, Skin sings that "If I opened my he heart, there'd be no space for air". I am guessing that she didn't study anatomy.

That graph pretty much supports the figures that were quoted; 8.5million in 1939 and didn't get back to 8.5million until 2015. I treat this as one of those things that doesn't have to pass minutiae detail. It is basically right and is something I find very surprising.
Of course it shows the same total. I never said it didn't. But it does show more, ie the movement of people away from the centre, which continued to dormitory towns. If you look at the context of inner city land re-use, which happened all over the country, it's not so surprising. Patterns of everything change over the generations.

I was told an interesting fact over the allotment the other day. John Innes compost is not made exclusively by a bloke or a company called John Innes. It is a formula that anyone can make and sell as John Innes no.1, no.2 etc depending on how it is processed and what it contains.

Sponsored Links
Back